Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gryd

Tinted Primer and One Top Coat Good Enough?

gryd
10 years ago

After finding all the alligator cracking in my exterior paint we decided to let the Painters use Sherwin Williams Prime RX Peel Bonding Primer as my base coat. We had it tinted of course. Both the local SW store and the painters feel one coat of SW Super Paint will be fine after the primer. I can't afford a 2nd top coat at the moment but may be able to afford to pay for Sherwin Williams Duration as my finish coat. Is it worth it or should I just stick with one finish coat of Super Paint like the local store recommends. Also, considering I often touch things up which would be easier for me to do that with in the future? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

1 coat primer, 2 coats super paint would be the proper way to go. Can you get by with 1 coat, sure. I would forget the Duration

• gryd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm on a tight budget. I can see how one coat of Super Paint covers and go from there. Why forget the Duration? I thought it was good stuff.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Duration's appeal is often its mils of thickness (dry). Super Paint, interior and exterior, may very well be one of the best values available. Sometimes budgeting labor and product is a balancing game. A budget is a budget, and I understand. Labor is the bulk of a paint budget, not product. With that said, however, if you think you could afford one coat of Duration, my question would be, are you sure the budget cannot handle two coats of Super Paint.

• PRO
    10 years ago

exactly what fun said,+ getting the right thickness in one coat of Duration is not easy( for anybody)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Interesting, Chris. Good to know.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Yes...it's certainly "good enough".
    Ideal?....No...but it'll do OK.

1 coat on an exterior is still only....1 coat...that has to hold up to all Mother-Nature can dish out.
    If the budget says "1 finish-coat", Duration is the better paint, & should be used IMO.

Faron

• PRO
    10 years ago

Duration is the better paint, & should be used IMO.

although that statement is true( to a point)
    it is very , very hard to apply properly

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Cn-
    Right...right you are!
    Kind of a double-edge-sword here...
    Today's paints are very good in the upper-tier products, but are tricky/harder to apply properly for some novice diy-ers!

Faron
    PS....This reminds me of a car wax I loved last year, Turtle-Wax ICE. Fairly ez to apply, but very hard to rub back off when dry enough! Looked beautiful when done, but it's a B*TCH to remove!!

• gfjbthllr
    10 years ago

Sorry to tell you but you said alligatoring which usually is many layers of paint causes this also the paint peeling older houses usually have oil base many layers and you probably have to stick with oil when there are so many layer no matter what the prep latex will peel quickly no matter what prep you use go with oil primer then oil finish if you cannot afford that atleast go with oil finsh only and I hate to tell you no matter what they say one coat paints are worthless no matter what they say about the quality of the paint it will crack water under it and peel very quickly safe yourself alot of time and money in the long run and wassh chalk and dirt off house let dry then put two thin coats or three of all the same finish coat but what I did works fantastic on old house never fails cut some boiled linseed oil maybe 25% with gum turpintine only then take that solution and cut your oilbase paint 25% with that and then you should get about 20 good years out of your paint job please believe me Ive done it and am guided by men 80 to 90 years old that have done the same with 100%success im 57 I have done this 30 years ago and recently and the job still has has not peeled or came off and it was terrible before I preped and painted it good luck please do not try to save a couple dollars now that will cost you 100"s later in more paint and labor

• gfjbthllr
    10 years ago

Sorry I wrote the long explanation above but I forgot one thing I think in the Mystic Village town area they did the same but they only used pure boiled linseed with a little bit of pine tar and gum turpinetine and it was good for some 100 years others 300 years so think about it that is why I said boiled linseed oil cause it deters mold growth gum turpintine deters mold aswell plus it is a better base and allows you to paint oil base as long as it does not go below 20 degrees great stuff preserves and allows you to paint at lower temps plus if you wish take some borax and or boron disolve in the warm thinner and add to paint of first coat then apply other paint over it you have eliminated mold and mildew growth cause you sealed it in there for years to come ive done it on mold infested outside window trim with 100% mold free success

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath