Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stash_hdy

What's best way to store brushes?

stash-hdy
14 years ago

How should brushes be stored? I left a few in a box and the bristles got deformed a bit. Should they be hung up like you see in a store?

Comments (9)

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

You store them in the package they come in. Those keep the bristles straight.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I have some very expensive art brushes for paintings (not walls) and I store those bristle end up (resting on the point of the handle) in a tupperware container that's actually for storing pasta. Works perfectly, and smaller paint brushes (1" - 2" brushes) would probably fit. You could get a larger size container for bigger brushes. My wall brushes I store on their sides (always) in a box or clear container. If you had the space tho, no reason why they couldn't hang. Would avoid dropping them in a coffee can and walking away like I've seen DH do. *rolleyes* ;-)

A tip I learned to keep bristles in shape: after you've washed, put a dab of hair conditioner or ivory bar soap on them, work in lightly, then place bristles between index and middle finger, squeeze from base to tip. When you get to the tip pinch really tightly to reshape. Set on a sink on their side to dry. Retains shape well that way. Just rinse out before next use.

• stash-hdy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paintguy,

Bought seconds without covers, any other suggestions. I may make a holder so they can be hung.

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

Aluminum foil actually doesn't work too bad for making your own brush covers because you can actually somewhat get the foil to conform around the brush.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

Paintguy,
    Bought seconds without covers, any other suggestions. I may make a holder so they can be hung.
    If they are seconds to begin with they are probably not worth saving anyway if you are using them to paint your home with. Buy some good brushes,clean them well, put them back in the covers they came with and they will last a long,long time.

• stash-hdy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are Purdys top line and are equal to those you buy in any retail store. The damaged area, the handle, has nothing to do with their ability to create an excellent surface. There are many other individuals that like other brands which I also use but for the price these are perfect. They do the job with all paints and are throwaways when I use oil. I will just build a holder to hang them by size and that will resolve my question. Paintguy thank you for your time and constructive feedback. I have used foil in the past and it does work by the way.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

Why did they not have covers? Doesn't matter, just wondering. You could, after cleaning, loosely wrap a rubber band around the bristles about half way down and hang them up to dry, I have done that to some old blown out brushes and it has worked pretty well.

PS, You did not state that they were Purdy's, it sounded to me like you had bought junkie brushes.Sorry

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I thread the handles through a chopstick and hang the chopstick from a wire shelf.

• la_koala
    14 years ago

Oh graywings, thanks for that chopstick idea! I have been driving my spouse batty when I hang my brushes from hooks randomly across the basement walls. Your chopstick idea will help me be so much neater. Thanks!