Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raro_gw

follow up question about tape removal at end of job

raro
12 years ago

On second thought, I kind of like the green frog accent line. Maybe I will just leave it there...........(kidding). But, I do wonder if I could leave that until we get moved in.

Is it best that the tape come off sooner rather than later?

What about touching up in places where I missed the floor and the tape and blotched on to the white walls? How do I best touch that up?

Comments (12)

• buffy21798
    12 years ago

The sooner, the better. You get the best lines when you remove the tape while your paint is still wet. If the paint is dry it can peel off the wall with the paint. If you have that problem try using an exacto knife to score lightly along the tape. I am not totally sure what you are asking in the second question..

• davisgard
    12 years ago

In terms of touching up, just paint over the part where you missed or blotched on. The paint that is relatively fresh (not cured) should blend quite easily. If it has been some time since the walls were painted, the touch up may not blend completely.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

I PURPOSELY leave it on for a number of hours....OR, even the next day.
    Then, using a sharp snap-blade knife, score the tape/paint edge, and remove.
    LAZER-straight lines...and I'm fussy!

Here's the deal-
    >>> Modern paints dry so fast that you ALWAYS have to score that edge.
    >>> Unless you can pull up tape within 5 MINUTES, score the edge!!
    >>> Paint binds TO ITSELF real quick, i.e, as a FILM unto itself...NOT to the wall/primer. THAT "paint-to-wall/primer"-bond literally takes DAAAAaaaaayyyys.
    >>> I usually mention this to our customers.

Faron

• davisgard
    12 years ago

Probably a dumb question, but could you explain what you mean by "score"? I'm assuming you don't cut beyond the tape itself (into the wall or trim). Are you cutting along the edge of the tape? At right angles? crosshatching?

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Yes..."scoring" means a light cut thru the paint/tape layer, at the tapes' edge.

Faron

• raro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

faron79 - if it takes daaaaaAAAAAyyyyys for the paint to adhere in a tight bond to the paint, then shouldn't I wait days for the paint under the tape to adhere to the trim so that it will not pull up as easily?

Do I have to score through all the paint layers covering the tape or only the top layer?

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

You should have waited 30 days to apply the tape to the trim.

• raro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I didn't know. Waiting 30 days is not compatible with the pace and schedule of a renovation.

Now that we didn't wait 30 days, what do we do? Do we pull it up or wait the additional days now?

Again, do I score through all the paint layers covering the tape of only the top layer. There are 5 coats of paint at this point.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Should have used blue tape made for delicate surfaces( orange core) to start with.
    Actually , you should not have used any tape at all, but that is another thread

"There are 5 coats of paint at this point."

5 coats??? Why?

Score the tape and pull it

• raro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

5 coats plus the primer. That was because a dark gray/blue primer was used for a floor that was to be yellow. The first 2 coats of paint looked dingy green. The next two coats got it to uniformly yellow except for the cut in edge. That still looked greenish. tonight I hope I put on the last coat. I used green frog tape as per the suggestions I gleaned from this site. Tomorrow is moving day. I will score and pull as soon as we are settled. Thanks for the advice and comments

• PRO
    12 years ago

Ahhhh, you are the "floor" person from another thread.The frog tape works well but there is not a tape in the world that will come off clean with 6 coats of paint on them. Take your time and keep a new blade in you're snap off knife and you will be OK

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

I don't really agree that all tape needs to be scored. I use Benjamin Moore and C2 paints mostly and never score anything. The best time to pull tape is about 1/2 hour after you have completed painting. But, if I pull the tape the next day it comes off just fine without scoring. I think the scoring issue has to do with what paint you are using and perhaps which tape. I have only used the Frog Tape once and it seemed to pull just fine without scoring so I'm a bit confused on this one. Also, on many jobs I will paint trim and then tape it off 2 hours later and then paint the walls. I hardly ever pull off trim paint doing it this way. You just need to make sure your trim is clean and dull before painting it. If you paint over a dirty slick surface, then your paint isn't stuck and may be easily removed when you apply tape to it.