Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to paint deep trim

Posted by alan_s_thefirst (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 13:15

I am using a 1x4 (3/4x31/2) trim - it's quite deep. I am pre-painting it with my airless sprayer using a melamine type paint - "monamel" because it was the toughest, most oil-based type I could find....

I'm getting pretty good results but not as smooth as possible, because I have to do a pass at an angle to get the edges, if you get what I mean so I'm tending to go at 45 degrees to the main surface, in order to cover the edges.

If I were to do a pass directly edge-on, I think it'd be worse.

The results really aren't bad, but I wonder if there's a better way. I recently bought a whip extension (a short, more flexible hose that you use between the hose and the gun) plus a swivel, so that's made it much easier to keep the gun at a good perpendicular angle - you know what it's like with the very stiff hose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to paint deep trim

Try a roller or brush to get the edges, then spray for the crevices in the face of thew trim.

o
RE: Best way to paint deep trim

Are you spraying on horses or keeping the trim up somehow? I never have a problem hitting the edges, so this question is confusing to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here