Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
curing time for semi-gloss paint

Posted by flseadog (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 1, 09 at 12:53

The painter for our new build has just finished painting the wood shelves for our linen closets and pantry. DH said the painter recommends that we wait at least 3 weeks to allow time for the paint to cure completely. Also, he said that fiber of any type (cardboard, book bindings, etc.) will tend to stick to even completely cured paint, especially if the load of the shelf is heavy and recommended putting shelf liner down before loading up with sheets and towels.

Question 1: We're already behind schedule on moving in so I'm feeling frustrated about not being able to put things away but I don't want to mess up anything. Does 3 weeks sound reasonable?

Question 2: DH forgot to ask if any particular type of shelf liner is better than others to use on newly painted shelves and I haven't been able to get the painter on the phone. Do you have any recommendations for a good shelf liner?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: curing time for semi-gloss paint

Three weeks is about what I suggest. Most manufacturers will claim somewhere in the range of 2-6 weeks for full cure. I don't know anything about shelf liner, but I do know that when items stick to fully cured paint, you can usually just pull the item off without damaging the actual paint film.

o
RE: curing time for semi-gloss paint

Thank you, paintguy. I'll try to be patient and just spend my time organizing rather than stowing everything right away. If anyone else has a suggestion on what to use for shelf lining I'd appreciate all suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here