Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paint that's 7 years old

Posted by bmh4796 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 12:36

i'we have paint cans that have been sitting in our outdoor storage room for about 7 years. is any of it still good? we are building a new house, and some of the cans of paint the painters bought for our current house were never even opened. i'm using some of the same colors. can we use this old paint? we got freezing temps here maybe 30 days over the past 7 years. i'm in South Louisiana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paint that's 7 years old

Why risk the extra time and labor if the paint turns out to be no good. Generally, if paint freezes - it's done.

o

so it possibly froze 30 times AND is 7 years old?

hmmmmmmmmmmm

o

lol. ok. thanks. it was IN the storage room, which is brick, so i doubt that it froze. i should have been more clear. but either way, i guess it's not worth using.

o

Open it up and have a look. If it smells bad, it's done. More than likely, it's done...

o

.......IF the cans themselves are even useable anymore, & not rusting thru @ the seams/top rim.
I'd put your odds of success @ 50/50 here...

Faron

o

A bad smelling paint doesn't always mean it's bad either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here