Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmiriam

Exterior of Clawfoot Tub?

rmiriam
12 years ago

I am planning on painting the exterior of my 1915 cast iron clawfoot in a matte or satin black. Has anyone ever painted a tub like this? Any ideas for the best paint? I've considered Rustoleum, and some people say you can just use an exterior latex, but any experiences would be great!

Comments (3)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Black oil-based rustoleum should be perfect, and it will not encourage any rusting. I'm assuming it already has old paint on it. If it has been stripped, you should use red oxide primer first.
    Casey

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Using exterior latex paint indoors can cause health problems for some folks due to the higher mildewcide content. A co-worker of mine learned this the hard way.

• rmiriam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good to know, jessicaml, thanks! The tub doesn't seem to have any paint left on the outside, but also isn't rusty. Rustoleum says not to use the red rusty metal primer on non-rusty metal. Is there another red oxide primer I should use? I'm going to have to do this all with brushes, as the bathtub is going to be in my very tiny and very recently decorated nursery (no, the baby won't be there - he's out of town), so spraying is not very practical.