Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Steel Door Prep ?'s

Posted by mebozo (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 12:09

Finally getting ready to paint these three doors. They've been setting a few months and have dust on them. I see in another posting a mfg suggested cleaning with mineral spirits? to remove oils etc. Does the residue need to be rinsed? Also, the mfg said to use bonding primer on the plastic (around glass) when Paintguy says 100% acrylic will adhere fine to plastic? Would TSP work for cleaning?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Steel Door Prep ?'s

Yep, 100 percent acrylic paint will stick just fine to the plastic mouldings surrounding the windows...I never use primer and I have been painting those doors for 20 years. But go ahead and use a bonding primer if you are worried...priming is never a bad decision. Don't use TSP because it is overkill and it has to be rinsed. Paint thinner will work just fine, followed by a quick sand with a fine/medium grit sanding block. You do not want to sand so hard that you remove primer and expose bare metal...just a quick, light sanding.

o
RE: New Steel Door Prep ?'s

I have one more factory primed door to paint and I will sand and add extra primer on that sucker before rolling color onto it. It was a PITA to re-do the front door. The paint peeled off the entire door. Paint man said he has more people having to repair that mess as the primer on these doors is crap. I believe it. Anyway, things are good with the door now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here