Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwaysadaylate

sherwin williams brilliance ceiling paint

alwaysadaylate
12 years ago

I just wanted to know how often Sherwin Williams Brilliance ceiling paint is used in homes. Sherwin Williams claims that most customers purchase this ultra bright white for ceilings. We applied it to our daughter's ceiling, and it is a very stark white.

I know I want my ceilings to be more of white than cream, but not sure if we are making a mistake or not doing the whole house in this ceiling paint.

I don't really have an original bone in my body and just want our ceilings to be what everyone else has. I am just not a risk taker.....:) I don't want to do tinted ceilings either - I am terrible with paint and that would just be a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Any recommendations for trim color to go with ceiling paint? We are planning to paint our kitchen cabinets white too - more of a white white rather than an off white or cream.

Thanks so much for you help!!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

It is just white paint, you are being overly anal about it. Just paint them all the same white and move on to the walls.

• brede
    12 years ago

I use SW paint and love it, but I agree that their standard ceiling paint colors are too cold and stark. I have my ceiling paint tinted Pure White, 7005. It's a lovely clean white.

And yes, they can tint the Brilliance ceiling paint. We're removing nearly 3000 s/q of popcorn ceiling, and they've been tinting a lot of it for us! ;)

• carmscall
    12 years ago

as contractor 95 % of customers go with off the shelf white. I have used brilliance but prefer fineran and Haley care free coat on the ceiling but that's a pickem. Unless you are going to take the the time to match colors from ceiling to walls and color coordinate everything, just go with white. Even an off white will look white to you after a while anyway.

• sewwhatsnew
    12 years ago

I just used 5 gallons of Brilliance and I had Sherwin Williams color match it to BM White Dove. I liked their ceiling paint real well. Painted popcorn ceilings with their foam roller with slits, this roller cover worked great.

• ColorMeUrban
    12 years ago

I used SW's SuperPaint in the High Reflective White for my LR & DR's. I LOVE it... it went on like a dream. It is a crisp flat white, and I think it makes a nice clean snap between the walls and ceiling. The walls are Anjou Pear and Harvester, so they are fairly bold colors and also in a flat/matte finish, so it came out quite elegant.

I made the HUGE mistake of using Glidden (you gotta be Kidden Me) ceiling paint in the bedroom, office and hall. I wanted to scream. It went on awful. 2 coats was essential, rather than just providing that professional smooth finish and it wore me out working with it. It is also kinda dull compared to the common spaces, so next spring, getting some more High Reflective White and making those rooms look great too.

Hope you have had time to adjust to it, changes in colors can take a couple of weeks to acclimate to. Hope you are liking it now!

I did just use SW's primer for the first time (tinted) and it splattered quite a bit. I don't use drop clothes or painters tape anymore, so I had to roll slooooooow to keep from getting speckles everywhere, BUT the stuff looks like a finish coat of paint! Pratt & Lambert makes killer paint as well... Red Seal is a dream to paint with.

• Barbnvabeach
    12 years ago

SW Dover White - used in my home both on ceilings and trim work. I am not brave when it comes to paint, takes me months to decide, much less a ceiling.