Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

High Build Primers

Vertise
10 years ago

I need a high quality high build primer, not of the peel stop variety. SW has one but it seems to be hard to get. I thought I'd get BM but see it is Super Spec 270 and Funcolors says she would never let any Super Spec product near her walls. I see Kilz, Duron and Behr also have one.

I notice they often say polymer acrylic. Is that the same thing as the poor quality (PVA) Polyvinyl acetate primers?

Which would you recommend. I'm using Aura for a quality paint job.

SW High Build - Vinyl acrylic
BM Super Spec 270 High Build - Acrylic Blended Latex
Kilz High Build - Acrylic polymer
Duron High Build - Acrylic polymer

Fresh Start - regular not HB - 100% acrylic latex

Thanks.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 14:14

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

First off, why do you need a high build primer?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

I use the Moore "enamel undercoater" in such cases. It's able to be feathered out and sanded very smooth.
    Casey

• Vertise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want to use a high build primer to fill irregularities in the repaired drywall. Like slightly uneven surface areas, areas of concentrated pinholes, random scratches. I also want consistent texture across the walls. Lots of skim coating has been done. Rest of the wall has roller stippling. Think that was about it.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Well, if it was me, I would skim it out properly and apply a normal drywall primer, especially if applying Aura , but anyway, Sherwin Williams makes a good one called( surprisingly) high build primer

• Vertise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I read most people like that one. I also read it was a mess. None of the stores here seem to know anything about it, oddly enough, but par for SW stores around here. Another reason I prefer BM. It's also only available in 5 gal pails. Just not sure about using a Super Spec product.

The most I would do is put a coat of primer on first, then fill/wipe with compound over, say, the pinholes. Reprime again?

It would seem a lot easier to just use a building primer if it actually works. Usually when I fill areas over the skim coat, there ends up being a slight unevenness, with edges or a bit raised around the area that doesn't sand out quite smooth for some reason. Things are looking pretty good and I don't want to mess with it any more in this raw state.

• PRO
    10 years ago

super spec is a good product( I would use it instead of SW if I could)

Super Spec Prep Coat (270)

• Vertise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

okay. Good to know! That was my dilemma. I don't want any cheap primers on my walls. SW is unstocked and 5 gallons just to try! Kilz HB is also unavailable with expensive shipping charges. Hopefully BM stocks this one. They don't always stock their own products, lol.

Thanks all.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 7:36

• Vertise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Discontinued. No stock. HB primers are not an easy product to purchase!

• PRO
    10 years ago

the SW one is fine, I would NOT use the Kilz

• Vertise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Why not Kilz? I thought it was a respected brand. Was just going to order it. Mainly because SW comes in 5 gallon pails only. (and is only stocked 20 miles away).

The SW has vinyl in it, which has been what's concerning me. Tech said Kilz does not, it is acrylic. I thought vinyl (inexpensive ingredient) was a bad thing ("con't use cheap PVA primers").

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 22:44

• Vertise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bump

• Vertise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've only used the Original and it seemed to be fine. I've ordered the pail of SW. Hopefully it works.

THanks.