Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mixing brands and gloss levels: don't do it! here's why.

Posted by lazygardens (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 11:27

I did, mixing together some Glidden flat and some Valspar semi-gloss to make enough paint to cover a floor.

... and the floor has never cured. Even a month later it is slightly sticky.

Fortunately I'm covering it all with oak, but if it were my final finish I'd be in trouble.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mixing brands and gloss levels: don't do it! here's why.

I bought a gallon of returned/on sale Valspar to paint some garage cabs. The stuff won't dry. It's been at least 6 months.

o
RE: mixing brands and gloss levels: don't do it! here's why.

I have never had a problem while mixing brands and/or gloss levels as long as both paints were same base. That is to say lacquer and poly certainly should never be mixed. For that matter,one must be carful if mixing lacquers because there is nitrocellulose,urushiol,acrylic and water base lacquers. I have seen problems such as yours where acrlic and alkyd paint were mixed by mistake. We used to refered to the end product of mixing a bunch of left over interior and exterior latex house paint as "FHA SPECIAL" and when several different colors were mixed,that was often referred to as "FHA GRAY".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here