Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkbee_gw

Painted kitchen cabinets=funky texture. HELP!

PinkBee
12 years ago

Hi, all. Resident lurker, first time poster! :)

Short story: we installed tall beadboard, including backsplash, in the kitchen. We also painted our builder grade oak (?) cabinets white (Valspar Snowcap White, semi gloss, with primer). As with all trim and other cabinets we've done, we sanded the original gloss down, cleaned thoroughly, primed with Kilz "stinky" stain cover primer, then used quality angled brushes and the small sponge rollers (Lowes...can't remember the brand) for cabinets. But, I can't get over the sticky texture of the paint! It doesn't look (or feel) smooth at all. I also read that we can't sand down semi gloss for a solid month lest we want an even worse texture. I don't know what to do...or what we did wrong. It just seems lumpy and even though my husband says no one will notice...YES, I will. That's all that matters.

Related: on some areas there appears to be a yellowing effect, as well. Now I know I'm a painter/DIY newbie, but this has me stumped.

Any and all advice/tips are welcome.

Comments (4)

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

PinkBee, I sell paint in my job, but I'm relatively new to DIY painting, too. Last summer I rolled high gloss latex paint on my bathroom cabinets and the texture was horrible! This summer I've been using Ace Cabinet & Trim paint on my kitchen cabinets. It's a latex/alkyd hybrid, and it levels beautifully! Paint that levels well smooths out the roller/brush marks as it dries (some painters use paint extenders to help with leveling, too, but I'd rather avoid that step). I also learned to use a brush to avoid the orange-peel effect from rollers (there are light brush marks on the frames since leveling is tougher on vertical surfaces, but they have much more character then roller marks). I intend to get around to repainting the bathroom cabinets with the Ace Cabinet & Trim paint, but to save my sanity for now, I gave it a month or two to cure and then sanded down the worst of the texture. As for the yellowing...unless it's an oil paint or you picked a creamy shade of white, I'm stumped. Perhaps the oil primer is contributing to this? Faron? Painterguy? Christophern? Funcolors?

• PinkBee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the tips...although now I'm filled with regret for not knowing this prior to doing my ENTIRE kitchen. haha.

I'll wait to sand and try those brushes and possibly the paint. Do they do color matching?

Yellowing: the only thing I can think it could be would be the primer somehow coming through...but how? I'm seeing it mostly around the stove so perhaps it's smoke (although I don't think I've burned anything). It looks kind of streaky, though...like paint strokes.

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

PinkBee, what paint are you using on your cabinets? I am painting trim.. and my first attempt was to use Benjamin Moore, White dove in an oil base, and found it to messy to clean, so I switched to their "Advanced", with is a water base - enamel finish. It is suppose to be great at leveling, leveling. It is - fantastic... looks like an oil base, but after a few weeks I decided I didn't care to the color of white dove - too much yellow, and I was looking more for a neutral off white. This forum raves about the color White Dove.. but to me, it was way to yellow! My search for the perfect white paint went on.. I tried 5, and just couldn't find the perfect one!

I bought a subway tile, in the perfect off white color and tried to pick a paint from that... it brought me back to WHITE DOVE! ???? Than it finally dawned on me... the white dove paint I was using YELLOWED (within 3 weeks!) It was a completely different color from what I started out with. I switched to the Aura line, which will be non-yellowing. It goes on nice, but the advance went on smoother... but I'll take the light brush strokes in exchange of all my paint yellowing!

• carmscall
    12 years ago

you have to spray the cabinets for a pro finish sorry to say, you will always see applicator marks in the paint no matter how much they say the paint levels. You might get away with doing vanities with brushes and foam rollers but not kitchen cabinets up high with a satin paint in the light of a kitchen. I do this This for a living and I would never get paid for anything less than work that could pass for a factory finish.
    check out some pics in my gallery. I am not selling , just letting you know that I know about this stuff www.carminteriors.com