Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
matching ceiling paint (patched-up holes)

Posted by bronxbill (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 11:16

Ok everyone - need a little help - we took out 3 hooks from the ceiling and then looked around for the ceiling paint to just do the patches (we didn't have it) so I'm trying to just paint the patched-up ceiling holes - WITHOUT having to paint the complete ceiling. the only white paint we had was BM ceiling white which didn't match at all (we don't know what actual color white is on the wall) which is over 5 years old. I also tried to water down the BM to make it lighter but still darker then the original. any suggestion? the 3 holes are about 3X5"
(I also tried Linen white, Super white which didn't help)
Thanks much
Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: matching ceiling paint (patched-up holes)

Watering down paint will not change the color....it just makes it watered down, which could make it more drippy and it will cover worse. You could try white instead of the ceiling white, but it is going to be very hard to get touch ups on a ceiling to blend in without knowing the color. Even if you knew the exact paint, it's 5 years later, and ceilings are the hardest thing to touch up because that is where all the light goes.

o

If your house is relatively new, say less than 10 years old, it's possible the paint on the ceiling is the original white paint the builder's paint contractor used.

Builders' painters typically use the same white paint on the ceiling as they do the walls, and they buy pre-mixed white. So that color may be on the walls in closets. Or if you know the brand of paint, get a sample of the ready mix white that the store sells.

o

Thanks for the input- no it's an old house - we don't know the brands/actual white color used - Im going to run out & get some paint swatches from home depot, BM etc. maybe holding it up to the ceiling I can match it. or come real close to it. 3 small holes so maybe won't be so bad. Keep you posted.
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here