Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Painted area lighter than rest of wall?

pbx2_gw
9 years ago

I patched a small area in one of my secondary bedrooms & then painted over it.

Primed it with Kilz latex primer & painted with Benjamin Moore Regal flat latex (walls are eggshell)

Both were 1.5 year old cans left over from when the house was constructed. Made sure to stir both cans thoroughly.

The spot looks like it is 'bleeding through' lighter than the rest of the wall.

I was always told to prime before painting esp. on repair work. But now it looks like several coats of paint is not enough to cover up the primer & leading to this lighter patch.

Any guidance to rescue me would be appreciated.

This post was edited by pbx2 on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 11:19

Comments (5)

• LuisHinkle
    9 years ago

When you use the brush, it can occur with excessive of walls, corners and ceiling areas. Your feather brush should leave a thin feather edge of paint. The particular painting should paint lighter if it can be painted in first time.

Here is a link that might be useful: painting company

This post was edited by LuisHinkle on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 8:57

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LuisHinkle (My Page) on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 9:15
    When you use the brush, it can occur with excessive of walls, corners and ceiling areas. Your feather brush should leave a thin feather edge of paint. The particular painting should paint lighter if it can be painted in first time.

Sorry I don't quite understand what you are saying. Can you provide more details please.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

It could be that you need more drying time. You might need a week or more, especially if that patch isn't completely cured. Start there.

If the spot is still noticeable after a week or two, the paint on the wall can change color with exposure to light or your paint in the can might not have been completely mixed. Make sure there is nothing on the bottom of the can that isn't mixed n well. If it seems well mixed, then you may need to feather out the paint onto the surrounding wall to blend them together. I've done it with a brush, a sponge or even a paper towel (have you ever done any ragging or faux finishing?) Use a wet brush, sponge or whatever - not dripping, but you want the paint to go on thinner and not so evenly -- kind of feathering or mottling it in all directions so the result is a bit marbled or mottled. The slight variation will soften the difference and your eye will tend to read it all the same. Go lightly. Less is more here.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by lascatx (My Page) on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:09
    Go lightly. Less is more here.

Thanks for the very detailed suggestion! I really appreciate your feedback.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by lascatx (My Page) on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:09... or your paint in the can might not have been completely mixed. Make sure there is nothing on the bottom of the can that isn't mixed n well. If it seems well mixed, then you may need to feather out the paint onto the surrounding wall to blend them together...

This ended up being the culprit: my paint - which had been sitting for a 1+ year - was not mixed well enough.

I ended up repriming & had the paint shook up by the Ben Moore store & the paint came back reasonably even.

However I still didn't like 98% color correction & ended up painting the entire wall.

Thanks again for the tips!