Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Professional vs. DIY

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

Hi! We are hiring professional painters for the new old house we just purchased. We want to save some money by doing some of the work ourselves, e.g., painting the closets. Where else will we get the biggest bang for our buck and where you wouldn't notice as much that it was done by sloppy amateurs? I don't yet have itemized breakouts for the things below from the painters

*Removing wall paper in bathrooms: We'd still need the pros to skim coat as needed. Wallpaper from 1999
*Painting a very long upstairs hallway: Part of it is visible from the foyer, main entry but I don't think people will scrutinize it when they look up. Part of it is hidden/darker. My concern is that people might be able to see streaks or where we went from the edger to the roller on the wall that opens up to the stairs and because it is a long space
*Painting the two basement rooms: I want to do one in a two tone stripe for the kids playroom. Is it worth the extra money to have the pros do it vs me making a crooked line? On the other hand, the kids will end up marking up the wall with their toys anyway. We painted before they were born and 3 years later we have scrapes and colored marks on the wall (and we're care with monitoring them if they have crayons/chalk)

We're painting the inside of the closets first. Not sure at what point we'll run out of steam. We basically have this weekend and the long weekend

Thank you.

Comment (1)