Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for kitchen wall,cabinet/trim, ceiling paint colors

Posted by drhack74 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 10:36

After five trips to town (nearly an hour each away) and countless paint samples I still can't find the right colors for my kitchen's facelift. I have an outdated galley style kitchen with very little natural light. The only natural light comes from the new windows in my dining area. My kitchen's lighting is fluorescent. I'm looking to lighten up my kitchen but I'm having no luck finding the right colors. I have stark white/off white walls and cabinets at the moment and I don't care for them. I'm looking for wall, cabinet/trim and ceiling paint suggestions. I would love yellow but my attempts have failed miserably (too yellow or looks dingy in fluorescent lighting). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for kitchen wall,cabinet/trim, ceiling paint colo

Change the fixtures, or at least change the tubes to be "bright white" or "daylight" tubes.

It makes a big difference.

o

My son and DIL did their kitchen in Benjamin Moore Banan-Appeal with stock BM white trim semigloss. It's a lovely yellow--not too bright, not too pale. Once the weather cools, the next project is painting the cabinets Dove White and installing beadboard backsplashes.

Check out the Kitchen Forum for more ideas. Lazygarden's suggestion of changing the bulbs is an excellent place to start.

o

how about thinking outside the box? two problems are too little light and what you do have is your lights have a blue cast to them. so when you put yellow on the walls it probably winds up having a greenish cast to it. also contrary to belief, painting a dark room with very light color will only make it feel gray. so what to do? be bold. How about pairing a more peachy yellow like bm glowing apricot 165. then try a color like old glory 811 in a semigloss or high gloss for the cabinets. use atrium white for trim. if you can replace countertops I'd find a white that matches the trim cabinet. nothing with gray in it. how about a glass tile backsplash that picks up the peachy yellow and whites?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here