Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brushworks_gw

Cabinet Refinishing with paints

Michael
9 years ago

I'm currently renovating 5 kitchens in a condo association in town. The builder's grade, thermofoil cabinets are being salvaged and repainted. Savings: $4,500.00

I'm removing the thermofoil cladding to reveal the MDF doors and drawer fronts.

Many people toss out the thermofoil products because they don't realize the MDF can be painted and it finishes smooth as glass.

So, how do I paint raw MDF?

1. Wipe clean with mineral spirits. Wipe on first solution with lint free cloth and follow up with another wet wipe-down with lint free cloth. This step removes any residue that may cause fish eye blemishes. Allow 30 minutes for mineral spirits to flash off.

2. Prime with GARDZ. Use a 4" Wooster roller cover to apply an even coat of GARDZ. GARDZ will penetrate and seal the MDF along with providing a bond coat for the paint film.

3. Smooth any blemishes with a light sanding. I use a fine 3M Between Coats Finishing Pad. Vacuum and wipe gently with tack cloth. Be sure it's clean. Spraying is non-forgiving.

4. Paint. I chose Do It Best paint (semi-gloss) available at local hardware store. The semi gloss is slightly above satin sheen. I've used it many times and it finishes ultra smooth when sprayed and level when rolled. I'm spraying with a GRACO HVLP sprayer set at level 3. Two coats, 4 hours apart. You may also roll and back brush if you don't mind the slight brush marks left on the ultra smooth MDF.

I'll post some pics soon.

If you have any questions or are interested in converting thermofoil cabinets to painted cabinets, inquire here.

Comments (6)