Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Primer Impact on Shiny Paint Finish

Posted by wren14 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 10:21

After two long months of refinishing kitchen cabinets (used FPE and recommned this brand highly!), I'm getting ready to tackle the living room for the third time in a year.

I painted my living room this past winter with Valspar eggshell (matched for BM Mt. Rainey Gray). Two months before that, I painted a slightly darker blue BM Regal eggshell. Both times, the "eggshell" appears to have significantly more sheen than the other brands I've used in the past (Ralph Lauren). When the light hits the paint in the hallway, you can see every roller stroke. I hate it, so I'm planning to repaint with Farrow & Ball Pointing (Estate Emulsion).

I've got a couple of questions about using primer. I have a can of BIN (or is it 1-2-3?) that I decided not to use for the cabinets (used FPE primer instead). I've read before that once you have a sheen finish on the wall, it will always show throught even it you paint a matt finish paint over it. Is this trues?

Do I really need to prime over the blue/gray if I'm using a heavily pigmented paint like F&B. It's a much lighter creamy white color, so I really don't know. I painted a sample 1' X 2' board last night with this combination, and I really don't see the blue through the F&B Pointing, but I'm afraid it might be a different story once I get the entire wall covered! I've painted dozens of rooms over the years, but I've never primed a wall before.

Bottom line..... I'm exhausted from the cabinet work all summer! I believe in doing things the right way the first time, so I'll prime if I have to, but would like to skip this if it really isn't necessary. Maybe I already know the answer and just want the wonderful readers on the forum to convince me that it's not necessary. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Exhaused Wren14!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Primer Impact on Shiny Paint Finish

It's really a misconception that primer helps with the coverage of lighter colors when painting over darker colors. Think of primer as a sealer because that is its main job. We use it when we want a good base for the topcoat, not when we are worried about covering up a color. In other words, primer covers terribly. I don't agree that the sheen of an eggshell should show through your matte finish either. As long as you are doing two coats, what is underneath it should become a non factor. I don't think you need to prime, but you should pole sand.

o

Thanks paintguy! I dug up a couple of posts this afternoon that said the same thing (I think you were one of the contributors to those as well). I've never sanded painted walls before. Any recommendations on the type of sandpaper I should use? 120 or 150 grit?

o

150 grit. I mainly just do it to knock down any previous globs of paint and whatever else left from the previous paintjob and to dull the sheen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here