Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rubbery paint

Posted by old_house_j_i_m (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 10:04

I am restoring an old house and am repainting the trim rather than stripping it.

all the trim in the house was painted brilliant white and the person who caulked the joints did a very poor job, so I am scraping paint and cutting out old caulk.

Heres what I am finding: the paint is very very rubbery, almost like they painted with caulk. its a high gloss white that was hastily applied (alot of skipped spots, poor adhesion, etc.) over what appears to be unprimed oil paint that is pretty old.

Is that why the paint is so rubbery? I am scraping about 90% or it off (some is well adheared) and will reprime.

Any advice? thoughts ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rubbery paint

Don't know about the paint. But FIRST thought was LEAD! Hope you're taking precautions.

o

I just think it may appear rubbery because it is not stuck to the wood or to the old paint so it is just sort of floating above the surface. This is normal when you pull off latex paint that is not adhered....is like pulling off a big rubbery sheet of paint until it breaks away at the areas where it has adhered...huge pain in the butt really. Latex paint is rubbery. Oil paint is brittle.

o

Hey paintguy - thats IT - it sort of floating, some areas are stuck real good and those parts seem firm and solid, not rubbery - thanks - guess thats all it is, crappily applied latex.

funcolors, most of the old lead paint is really hard and brittle - old oil paint (lead) is far superior in performance to new latex and under those coats of rubbery latex i find loads of perfect condition lead paint. I am careful, but boy, sometimes I wish I could still get some of that stuff - its was a great paint.

o

Is it possible it is some type of elastomeric paint?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here