Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help staining a fence.

Posted by obrionusa (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 9:47

I stained my fence 6-7 years ago with an oil base solid stain. I just pressure washed it and going to let it dry a few days before recoating. Do I have to go over it with an oil or could I use a latex stain?
Also anyone have any experience with ace or do it best brand stains. They call the ace brand ace wood royal. The do it best is called superdeck by duckback oil.

This post was edited by obrionusa on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 10:29

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help staining a fence.

I've been working @ a busy ACE/Home-Decorating store for over a decade now, most of the time in the Paint area.

Bottom-line...you've done good prep the way it sounds, so it doesn't matter much which stain you use! We go thru a fair amount of ACE's Wood-Royal stuff for decks & fences.
(Our main lines of stain are Sikkens & Penofin, but we stock ACE's as well)
Superdeck is another good stain.
For a fence SOLID stain, it doesn't really matter.

YES...you can use a Latex solid over the old Oil.
* Solid Oils are rapidly vanishing from mass-production. Sikkens, ACE, & many others have been phasing them out for a few years.
* "Hybrid" Oil/Latex chemistries dominate now.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here