Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint color to coordinate with original chestnut woodwork

Posted by KirKir1 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 9:44

I need advice and lots of it! :) I just bought a home with chestnut woodwork and I need help with selecting a paint color or colors. Here are my concerns:

1. Since there is SOOOO much wood (coffered ceilings, wood staircase, built-ins, trim) should I keep it simple and pick 1 color throughout the first floor instead of each color having it's own color? Thoughts?

2. I really like the warmth of BM Monroe Bisque. Thoughts on this color? Or can anyone let me know of any other colors which would look nice with my trim?

See this link for pictures of my 1st floor. Some of the pics are from the old owners. Not my furniture in the pics. My style is much more pottery barn-style.

Help and many thoughts and opinions please!!!!

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://picasaweb.google.com/112816906550899915079/August22011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint color to coordinate with original chestnut woodwork

Grays, greens and golds should go very nicely. Chestnut (unless it's been stained) has a medium/light brown color with a gray undertone, so it is a "cold" wood, like ash and black walnut. Colors that have red in them put next to it will tend to bring out more of the cold character of the wood. The colors I suggested will warm up the wood.
Oh, your link did not work.
Casey

o
RE: Paint color to coordinate with original chestnut woodwork

Oops...I'm a newbie to the forums.

Let me know if this link works.

Also, my wood is very warm. Maybe it's red chestnut?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Picasa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here