Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katebirch_gw

Exterior paint or solid stain?

KateBirch
9 years ago

I have a newly built house. the wood siding and trim is preprimed. Now it is time to paint the outside. I have to choose paint. I want white. Someone suggested using solid stain white rather than exterior paint.
I have to decide quickly and have no idea if I should choose solid stain or paint.
Please advise.
Also, within those what is a good shade and brand of white in either paint or solid stain? It is a classic colonial house.

Comments (7)

• Michael
    9 years ago

Google paint or stain, what is the difference.

Then you can make an informed choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: one source

This post was edited by brushworks on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 10:35

• KateBirch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have done that and I have someone whose house I can go see who has both- I just have to find the time to get there. I n the meantime I want personal opinions to help me.

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

What kind of wood siding? What kind of trim?

• KateBirch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

spruce wood siding- wood trim I am not sure of the wood. Both are pre primed.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Ask what type of material the builder is using. Chances are it's composite (engineered wood) siding instead of real wood.

Weatherboards? Fibercement? SmartSide? James Hardie?

If it's real wood either choice is good and either choice will require plenty of maintenance in years to come.

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

The great thing about stain is that it shouldn't peel like a paint does, but stain has almost no sheen so if a shiny surface is more appropriate for the look you are going for, then you should use a paint. Also, a paint is harder to apply. A stain is more forgiving when it comes to lapping.

• LuisHinkle
    9 years ago

It seems that you thinks so much about the the painting problems of your new homes. You must contact with the person who are taking the painting contractors they will solve all your problems and confusion.

Here is a link that might be useful: painting contractors

This post was edited by LuisHinkle on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 8:57