Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

What a mess

musicteacher
10 years ago

I thought my contractor was going to use a professional painter, but did it himself and although he is not through, it is a mess. He sprayed oil paint on the beadboard, cabinets and doorways, with lots of overspray onto the areas that he then covered with eggshell latex. Won't this make the latex peel? He used lots of mdf rim, didn't sand it and the paint, although it looks ok, feels very rough on the ends almost like sandpaper. Imagine all the grime settling into that texture. The doorways have drips and sags running down them, with places where it looks like he took maybe paper towels to wipe up the drips - very splotchy and bumpy and rough.
The cabinet drawers and doors look pretty good except for areas where he had done some repairs, slopped some wood putty on and painted right over it without even sanding. It looks like a toddler spread peanut butter on a sandwich then painted it.
I let him do the painting because I thought it would look more professional, but honestly, I would have done a much better job. A few brush strokes would look much better than the mess he made with that sprayer. Part of the problem is that even though he is a pro (many things in my bathroom he did very well) he is also my brother's friend from church. One of those really nice guys you can just hand the keys to and leave in your home. One time my water heater broke with water running out the garage, and I just called him, left him a key and came home from work to a new water heater and the bill on the kitchen table. Nice guy. I think he wants to please, but is obviously not meticulous at all!
Back to the paint. Can you do serious sanding through oil paint - by hand? Some of the areas on the cabinet are too narrow to fit even a small finish sander. Will it gum up in the sandpaper and start peeling off the wall? How do I be firm with my contractor without being a jerk?

Comments (2)