Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue tape and supposed new 'edge guard'

Posted by jessie21 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 9:18

Just heard a commercial on tv for the 3m blue painter tape, now with new "edge guard" and was wondering if anyone has had the chance to try it out yet. I was thinking of painting a stripe in a bathroom and might try it if it doesn't require doing any special "tricks" to prevent bleed. Anyone try it yet? Results?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue tape and supposed new 'edge guard'

I kinda smiled to myself when I saw these commercials for the first time this summer!

I was wondering what took 3M so long to have their OWN version of Frogtape, which an ex-employee of 3M developed!
This person was allegedly involved in developing the famous "Post-its" long ago too!

We brought in Frogtape in late '07, when it was first released through "Product-Rep's" channels. No hardware "chains" had it. About a year ago, ACE finally picked it up for stores to order thru the ACE system. Frogtape did have an ownership/mfr. change somewhere along the line, but it's still the same stuff.

...so now 3M's got their own brand of "coated" tape!

Faron

(well...there ya have it. This is kinda MY version of Paul Harvey's "Now you know the REST of the story..."!)

o

Have not tried the new blue tape. Have used the Green Frog, which HD sells. Usually, I use the reg. blue tape, even for stripes, just make sure to lightly burnish the edges. I have painted a few stripes in my day!:

Striped Foyer

Two-Story Foyer
I really loved the brown tape for stripes (gave more coverage left and right of the stripe), but not everybody carries that anymore. Pity.

o

I am a muralist and have used frogtape in past jobs with absolute success..Today I used the edge guard 3M tape with awful results. The stripes bled no matter how much I ran my finger over the tape to make sure it was sealed. I will not use it again..Frogtape for me from now on!!

o

PG - beautiful work! I love that blue, very chic.

o

Thanks Funcolors, but I can't take the credit for the color on this job, only the decorative painting. I worked with a really good designer and builder on this one. They did an amazing job on the whole house.
I forget what BM color we used.

The tan stripes are BM Willmington Tan. FYI.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here