Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Have done good prep, now which exterior paint?

Stacey Collins
12 years ago

Hi all,

I've painted several homes inside and out, so am not a newbie, but I'm having a hard time deciding which exterior paint to use. I'm between a Ben Moore and Sherwin Williams product.

Project: Coastal Maine. 55-year old house built of "brick-look" colored cinder block structural walls. Never painted before. Walls had some cracks and chipped mortar. The house was pressure washed twice, with long dry times. The cracks/chips were repaired with appropriate caulking.

Now, I'm normally a Ben Moore girl so I asked my store guys as well as calling the tech line, and they said their Fresh Start primer would be just fine. Meanwhile, I also spoke with a S-W rep and they recommended using their Loxon masonry primer. I decided to take BM's advice and got the Fresh Start Superior primer. it was a BEAR to apply: sank right in and required serious effort and multiple applications in each spot to get any sort of coverage. Very frustrating! So I ran out for a gallon of Loxon: wow! 100% easier. The Loxon fills the pores in the block buch better and is pastier, thicker so it makes a smoother surface.

So, now the house is primed in Loxon Masonry Primer. When the rain stops, I'll be ready for finish coats. What paint to use??????? I'm willing to spend extra for better longevity, ease of application (I'll be rolling with 3/4" nap due to mortar joints and block texture), mildew resistance (north side is shady) but mostly longevity. On masonry, is a more water-impervious paint better or not? I don't know, can you all advise?

Thank you!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County