Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flat or Satin for exterior brick walls next to shingles?

Posted by staceyneil (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 8:22

They're not real brick, they're brick-shaped cinder block (and ugly!) We're painting them a putty/greige color using Ben Moore Aura exterior. The Ben Moore folks give conflicting advice on sheen: flat so as not to accentuate surface texture OR satin so "dirt won't stick as easily". What would you choose?

FWIW Half the house is shingled in cabot oil dipped white cedar shingles like this:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flat or Satin for exterior brick walls next to shingles?

Satin, satin, satin.

Flat should NEVER be used exterior. Just because many people do, doesn't make it right.

In order for surface texture and imperfections to be seen they have to be at a level and angle that is easy to see. You kinda have to go out of your way to look at the area on the exterior you're talking about. You see it of course, but not like it's an expanse of 100% exposed wall.

Still necessary to do good prep. I've painted that area on my homes a couple times now. Make sure it's clean and knock off any mortar boogers with a 5 in 1 or something like that. Clean, bone dry and smooth as is reasonable for block.

It is hard work, but you are SO going to love how this detail *finishes* the whole look.

o
RE: Flat or Satin for exterior brick walls next to shingles?

Thanks! I was leaning towards satin as well. Just to be clear, though, this isn't just lower foundation walls, the house has full one-story high walls that are this concrete block "brick". Half the house is this 1950's masonry, the rest (an addition plus the gables) is shingled... Excellent prep has been done, pressure washing, caulking, and priming with SW Loxon Concrete Primer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here