Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Faux Painting outdated?

Posted by obrionusa (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 7:59

Im thinking of painting my paneling at my lake house. I would fill the groves prime and do the faux texture and glaze. I never done it but wouldnt be afraid to try it. Anyone know if this is going out of style yet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Faux Painting outdated?

Honestly I don't know. But I had my kitchen cabinets fauxed 12 years ago and have been thinking it's time for a change. Doesn't mean it's going or gone out of style, but I'm thinking it could be. However, if that is what you want to do it doesn't matter. It's your house.

o

In my feeble mind it was never in style

o

I would just skip the faux painting and filling--paint the paneling white and add some beachy/lake house paintings or shadow boxes.
-Sarah

o

I agree with Sarahandbray. White paint would with a beach decor would be cute and much less work than filling and doing faux texturing. I recall reading somewhere on this forum that faux is outdated.

o

Two opinions: It was very trendy in the 90's, so yeah, now it's kind of dated. And it's not an easy thing to DIY. I had an artist faux paint a bathroom 15 years ago, and we just removed it last week. The surface was still in fine condition, but I was really sick of it.

o

Do you really like it? That's what matters, not if it's in style or out of style. Unless you are going to sell, of course!

o

It's not outdated at all, but really will depend on the faux technique being used. I would say rag rolling is dead and other such similar effects, but smearing glaze on a wall over a similar color is still pretty hip.

o

I agree with the posters about painting the panelling white and leaving grooves, much more beachy and timeless than faux.

o

Yes, try white washing the paneling for a bright and updated look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here