Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmorepanic

Trouble with BM Satin Impervo - what to do?

bmorepanic
12 years ago

Hi - this is crossposted from the kitchen forum. Kitchen forum version with responses

We have issues with Benjamin Moore's Satin Impervo (water based) remaining sticky even after a year. We have used it for flat shelving in the kitchen, on trim and a built-in bookshelf on the first floor, including a bunch of windows with mullions - about 24 linear feet.

Items placed on flat surfaces stick and if at all heavy, will lift the paint off down to the primer. Typical example - on the built-in bookcase in the living room (painted 6 months ago), I placed a light weight, modern sewing machine for a few days, lifting it off stripped paint around the plastic feet. Another is the paint stripping off the casement windows at the gaskets and all of the windows at the sills. The windows were open for at least 5 days when originally painted a year ago and a good portion of the time since.

All of the shelving surfaces were new wood, primed with either fresh start or bin-white pigmented depending on the wood used. The previously existing wood work and windows were ten year old oil-based paint, cleaned and primed with fresh start primer or sanded and cleaned.

Hoping for suggestions to remediate. TIA!

Comments (8)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I have two rules for acrylic enamels:
    1) don't use them.
    2) if I have to use them, never apply to windows or shelves.
    I never get call backs for bookshelves being sticky when using oil enamels.
    There may be a remedy in a tin of wax. Apply furniture wax to the sticky bits. It may be enough to unstick them.
    There are teflon-containing spray lubes that could help at the window seals. The extreme step would be to apply some liquid silicone spray. That bill will come due when it needs repainting; the next painter will be cursing you.

Casey

• bmorepanic
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for this suggestion.

Some of the shelves have areas that need repainting and the windows definitely do - white primer shows in strips against the medium gray paint where it stripped off.

Do I repaint and then wax? Like Bri-wax or something else?

Could I repaint with oil-base on the flat areas instead without first stripping the acrylic?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

If you have clear (not colored) briwax of the kind that they have left out the solvent "toluene" you can use that on the paint. The original briwax has that solvent in it, which can do a number on acrylic paint. Johnsons wax and Butchers is safe, as long as it's the clear color.
    Repainting will require the extra effort of feathering out the pulled places. But just for the appearance you have to touch up at least.
    Casey

• baileyandbella
    12 years ago

Casey

What about painting a table with acrylic enamel, and then adding a poly finish?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

@baileyandbella,
    very do-able, with an acrylic poly; but if one were starting fresh, just use a better paint to begin with. If you want a light color, try "Cabinet coat", an enhanced acrylic enamel; unfortunately it can't be made in dark shades.
    For the hardest and most durable finishes in dark colors the choice has to remain oil at present.
    Casey

• baileyandbella
    12 years ago

Casey....I posted in this forum (link below) about trouble with my table....if you could give me advice for that, I would appreciate it.

I love Cabinet Coat and painted my cabinets with it last summer, but I need black paint for my table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Table help needed

• bmorepanic
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok - we'll try that. I'll make sure about toulene - I have some waxes hanging around - including some liquid johnson's floor wax and plenty of test candidates.

• carmscall
    12 years ago

latex paint is known for this , just clear coat with an oil varnish on the areas where things will be placed, if its over a dark paint color , don't use any clear coat less than a semigloss sheen or you could get frosting
    by the way I love satin impervo and use it all the time on cabinet jobs. You just have to be aware of some things like this that pop up and be prepared'