Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting dark stained oak without grain showing through

Posted by bigdoglover (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 08 at 3:37

I'm new on this forum. I've searched and think I understand how to prepare and paint over stained and varnished stair rail etc., thanks to everyone who shared info.

However, I do not want any of oak grain to show through the paint. I want it to look smooth. I'm not sure how to accomplish this -- whether the primer recommended will cover it. Or will I have to use some kind of wood filler and delicately cover the surface? If so, what, and how?

Stair rail and newel posts are currently dark stained oak with fairly high gloss finish. There are turned pieces and "cannonballs" to deal with. Balusters are black wrought iron, which I'm going to change to wood. It will all be painted offwhite.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting dark stained oak without grain showing through

Sanding sealer or enamel undercoater. Several coats of either, sanded a lot between coats. You want to fill all of the oak pores and level the surface. This is harder on previously-finished oak, because it's more difficult to get a filler to adhere when there's already a finish there. On new oak it's easier- you use a pore filler made for this purpose, and it sticks in the pores nicely.
Grit- 180 or 220 should work.
Casey

o

If you choose the sanding sealer method, be sure to avoid any urethane based acrylic paints like Cabinet Coat, etc. Or, choose a Zinsser sanding sealer that is compatible with urethane topcoats.

Michael

o

Can you restain it instead -- hate to see nice oak covered with paint.

o

I don't think you are going to fill grain with sanding sealer or any kind of primer. You need to use a filler or I believe that Fine Paints of Europe makes a brushing putty that is made for filling grain.

o

Thank you, paint experts, I truly appreciate this.

Terrible to say, allison, but I dislike oak as trim (floors are different) and want to cover it up. Go figure, it's just my taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here