Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for advice on Solid Color Stains

Posted by compumom (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 3:27

We're rebuilding our pergola. The rest of the house trim is white paint. The contractor suggested we might use a solid color stain. It's new to us, can you please comment as to which looks best in white and will last longer in mild climate (So.Calif)? Please note that CA has strict environmental controls and we're not able to use oil based paints that are more durable.
Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: A similar type of Pergola

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for advice on Solid Color Stains

Think of solid stain as a thinner version of paint. It's opaque like paint, just not as thick a film so all things being equal, it typically will not last as long as paint. If it were me, I'd just prime and paint it with a high quality acrylic paint.

o

Since im from the east coast I have no clue as to what's available out in cali however flood makes a latex/ oil solid stain that last up to 15 yrs if that is not an option have you considered doing the "rafters" in a transparent stain and priming and painting the frame work and pillars or just the pillars to make it "pop"

o

I like Cabot's non-oil solid color stain. Used it on my back deck (I'm in upstate NY, with lots of snow so need lots of protection) and I love it. It's like paint, but won't peel.

o

Well, I just for the first time tried out a stain... just on a small decoratively cut piece of cabinet wood ... to see if a black stain would look all that much different from black paint.

Based on what I saw, I'd say I'd definitely use a stain for your white wood project vs. paint it. Very different looks. One looks earthy, real and natural and the other looks like - well - paint. (Also, stain shouldn't peel!)

I don't know about outdoor stains, but have seen some in the aisles at Home Depot. The woodworking (indoor mainly) stains I was playing around with were from Minwax, which I see has some sort of a white pickling stain at the link I'm posting here.

I'd go browse that aisle at Home Depot, get a couple of 'stain chip' brochures and maybe a $5-10 can of whatever white stain (like woodworking, indoor) they have just to try on some piece of wood somewhere so you can see the effect and decide - whether that means you'll be buying an outdoor stain and doing it yourself or hiring a contractor to do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minwax stains - see the pickling white

o

Thanks to all for your input. I think we're going to go with the painted surface-- since it's attached to the house it would look odd next to painted wood trim.

I will research the paints and try to report back. If I forget, you can find me on the cooking forum! ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here