Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
compumom_gw

Looking for advice on Solid Color Stains

compumom
13 years ago

We're rebuilding our pergola. The rest of the house trim is white paint. The contractor suggested we might use a solid color stain. It's new to us, can you please comment as to which looks best in white and will last longer in mild climate (So.Calif)? Please note that CA has strict environmental controls and we're not able to use oil based paints that are more durable.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: A similar type of Pergola

Comments (5)

• paintguy1
    13 years ago

Think of solid stain as a thinner version of paint. It's opaque like paint, just not as thick a film so all things being equal, it typically will not last as long as paint. If it were me, I'd just prime and paint it with a high quality acrylic paint.

• edgar.m
    13 years ago

Since im from the east coast I have no clue as to what's available out in cali however flood makes a latex/ oil solid stain that last up to 15 yrs if that is not an option have you considered doing the "rafters" in a transparent stain and priming and painting the frame work and pillars or just the pillars to make it "pop"

• claudialina10
    13 years ago

I like Cabot's non-oil solid color stain. Used it on my back deck (I'm in upstate NY, with lots of snow so need lots of protection) and I love it. It's like paint, but won't peel.

• cinnamonsworld
    13 years ago

Well, I just for the first time tried out a stain... just on a small decoratively cut piece of cabinet wood ... to see if a black stain would look all that much different from black paint.

Based on what I saw, I'd say I'd definitely use a stain for your white wood project vs. paint it. Very different looks. One looks earthy, real and natural and the other looks like - well - paint. (Also, stain shouldn't peel!)

I don't know about outdoor stains, but have seen some in the aisles at Home Depot. The woodworking (indoor mainly) stains I was playing around with were from Minwax, which I see has some sort of a white pickling stain at the link I'm posting here.

I'd go browse that aisle at Home Depot, get a couple of 'stain chip' brochures and maybe a $5-10 can of whatever white stain (like woodworking, indoor) they have just to try on some piece of wood somewhere so you can see the effect and decide - whether that means you'll be buying an outdoor stain and doing it yourself or hiring a contractor to do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minwax stains - see the pickling white

• compumom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all for your input. I think we're going to go with the painted surface-- since it's attached to the house it would look odd next to painted wood trim.

I will research the paints and try to report back. If I forget, you can find me on the cooking forum! ;)

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia