Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ae2ga_gw

FPE surface preparation - sanding

ae2ga
12 years ago

I've reading about painting for the last several days and have come to the conclusion that I should definitely use the FPE brand for my kitchen cabinets (which will be unfinished maple). I've painted walls, doors, and trim before, but I've never tackled such a large project.

To prepare the cabinets and during the paint process, I understand that I need to sand the surface. Should I use a belt sander, an orbital sander, or the old-fashioned elbow grease with no electric tools involved at all? I also have a mouse ear sander for corners. Because I like to refinish furniture, I have all of these, but I'm not sure which to use or how the different sanders will impact the paint between coats.

Before the kitchen cabinets, I'm going to practice or a dresser that I've just stripped of paint to be sure I can do this. It would be horrible to ruin such high quality paint by using the wrong tools.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Unless I am missing something, a LIGHT sanding is all you need to do before priming and painting. BELT SANDER?????

• ae2ga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For light sanding, I done so by hand and with one of the orbitals. In the past, I have never painted any of the wood pieces I've worked on. So I'm presuming your incredulity means by hand. Thanks. I'm looking forward to this project.

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

Fine/medium grit sanding sponges are all that you need for this project.

• ae2ga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you. After reading so many professional painters rave about this paint, I am excited to try it.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Yes....hand-sanding and/or the Mouse will be fine!

Are your cabs being painted B4 the install??
    Will doors be off?
    Number them with painter's-tape.

Is other construction happening at the same time?

There's a 1,000 other details too...
    * You'll need some hints to control dust when you're applying finish-coats.
    (Hint: a kiddie-pool, 2 fans, a furnace-filter, & filter-charger.)
    * Once painted, how are you storing/racking the doors, etc., for drying.
    * Any primer being used?
    * What application tools will be used?
    * What FPE paint?

Faron

• ae2ga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Answers in order:

1. Yes, the cabinets will be painted before they are installed. My intention is to paint all sides before install. If my practice goes badly, or it turns out they must be sprayed, I will be painting.

2. At this time, the doors will be on and the drawers out. Is it better to have the doors off?

3. There is no other construction happening when I paint - too much dust and too much mess would ruin the finished product.

4. I read your recipe to use the kiddie pool and filters for the wet floor on a different painters discussion board and on the FPE site, so I will do that. I already have a pool that my grandsons use and fans. I'm uncertain about the furnace filter and filter charger - there will be a ductless mini-split system and whole house air filter that replaces the old floor furnace.

5. I have several 2x4s on which the drawers will rest while drying. I would use the same for the doors if I have to take them off, painting one side at a time.

6. I purchased the brushes recommended and sold on the FPE site.

7. My process will be:
    a. sanding, vacuuming, damp cloth, microfiber cloth
    b. FPE brushing putty with paint regular brush from Lowes
    c. light sanding and repeat of de-dusting process
    d. oil primer undercoat in white
    e. Hollandlac Satin - because it's the kitchen, I prefer an oil based paint.

For my test on the chest of drawers I recently stripped, I ordered the smallest sizes which will be more than enough. Right now, I think it will take me about 2ish weeks to paint all of the cabinets, but we shall see once I practice a bit. I want to make as many mistakes and have as much trial and error during the practice. My kitchen cabinets will be unfinished maple and the piece I'm working with right now is ash, so pretty similar.

Any suggestions, corrections, additional instructions, thoughts?

• PRO
    12 years ago

Take the doors off.

• ae2ga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Darn - I've never done hinges before and am not confident. Okay then, doors off, and I'll have to find someone to help with putting them on.

Question - my intention is to paint the cabinets on all sides. Do I have to wait the full cure time before installing them? Or is dry after a couple days sufficient?

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

Ideally, and when cabinets are built properly, painted surfaces should never touch painted surfaces when the doors are closed. If that is the case with your cabinets, then installing the doors the next day should be okay. If the doors do touch the frames when closed, then there are small bumpers you can stick on the inside of the doors so that paint never touches paint. If paint does touch paint, then you may want to wait a week or so before installing them. But the rule is that if paint touches paint, then at some point this will become a problem and paint will start to come off.

• ae2ga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The drawers and doors are full overlay, so there will be touching. Thanks for the heads-up about the bumpers.

Should I not paint the sides and backs of the cabinets for the same reason?

• PRO
    12 years ago

Ideally, and when cabinets are built properly, painted surfaces should never touch painted surfaces when the doors are closed.

Right , and how many times have we seen that happen, insert smiley face here.

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

Sides and back? I don't see what that would be an issue. You just don't want a painted surface touching another and the bumpers should prevent this.

• ae2ga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all very much for your assistance. :)

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

I did 2 screendoors with the Hollandlac Satin. Your patience with the sanding etc is so admirable. You cabinets will be gorgeous and amazing durable.

Ashamed to admit I just sanded lightly and primed and painted the doors. However there were many parts to them so it was quite a project.

First and most important is good ventilation. I inhaled a bit too much at first and found myself slightly disoriented. Subsequently, an open window and small fan going constantly solved the problem. But it is something to be reckoned with if working indoors.

The paint takes overnight to dry properly. It was very slow-going as I could only do one side of each part of the the door, then had to let them dry. With this stuff you definitely, definitely don't want anything to touch -- I'd agree doors off, for sure.

The rewards are durability and beauty. I've since had all the outside trim, front door and porch done with FPE and it's held up for 5 years -- just now needs a touch up as we have so much moisture.

However, the screen doors continue to be bulletproof.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm