Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raro_gw

Back with a question about how to remove the frog tape

raro
12 years ago

After reading posts on this forum I decided to say to h#$l with the painter and to do the extra coats of floor paint myself. To get good coverage on the mdf subflooring I had to roll on an additional 3 coats to each floor (red, yellow, orange). Oh, and I spent a lot of time prepping the floors - removing staples, bristles, and other globs that were sticking up. The yellow really needs another coat but I ran out of paint. Before painting I went out and got a good brush and green frog tape.

My question is how to remove the tape to make sure that the edge of the paint job doesn't come up too. I really painted over the tape quite a bit. I don't want to ruin the edges accidentally and them look raggedy. Thanks.

Oh, and I also have a question about how to touch up the spots on the white walls and woodwork where I got paint and did not notice in time to wipe off.

Here are some pics of the floors

ps. the paint was a Glidden concrete floor paint. Learned my lesson about color choice and coverage, that is for sure.

Comments (3)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

You slowly peel it back on itself. The (non-sticky) back of the tape stays parallel and close to the back of the tape that is still on the floor.

What you don't want to do is stand away from the tape and pull at a 45 degree angle, which is, unfortunately, the fastest and easiest way to do it.

• pob76
    12 years ago

Be careful however, in areas where paint has overlapped considerably onto the tape. Depending on the paint, and amount of latex additive, you could peel paint off with the tape. Taking a razor blade, and gently scoring along the edge of the tape that butts up to the floor will assure that the tape is removed without taking paint with it. A metal ruler helps you stay on the edge!
    Floors look awesome by the way. Now... Where are the painted rugs???
    :)

• raro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, that would be everywhere, where the paint overlaps the tape. I was painting from 2 am to 4 am on Sat, Sun, and Tues nights. Ugggh!

Thank you so much for telling me exactly what I have to do. I don't care if it takes a long time to remove the tape carefully, I want to protect my work!!!

Painted rugs, hmmmmm. Right now they are in my fantasy brain. I don't dare share this with DH as we have so much on our plate already with finishing off the huge renovation job and moving by Sept 1. Then there is regular work and chasing children. So the painted rug is tabled, so to speak, until a rainy day.