Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherry63_gw

UGH!!! Paint over old wallpaper...

cherry63
9 years ago

I have been stripping wallpaper off my new house's kitchen. There are three layers of paper and some places have paint too over the paper. I have gotten down to the drywall on one wall, and gotten all the glue off. It's ready to paint...but the other two walls are much more complicated. I can get off the top two layers mostly but that bottom layer is ripping the drywall and I don't want to keep on, I think I would cause more damage than I know how to repair(or care to). So I was wondering if I could sand it smooth and seal it with something so I can paint?

any suggestions on what to do would be great. My neighbor suggested 'mud'? to put a texture on...would that work? I have looked at some Youtubes and think I could do that

thank you in advance for any help you can offer

Comments (3)

• Michael
    9 years ago

Before you sand it smooth, wash it with Dirtex. Follow label instructions.

Sand it smooth and seal with GARDZ. Allow GARDZ to dry 4 hours before painting.

• LuisHinkle
    9 years ago

Its would be clearly mentioned in every instructions that you have to vital prepare before you paint the wall. you must apply a coat of oil based premier to the entire surface of the walls before posting. These will help to seal the adhesive within the paper, away from moisture and prepare it for paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: painters

This post was edited by LuisHinkle on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 8:57

• Michael
    9 years ago

Oil primer is old school and not required.

GARDZ is formulated for this particular situation. Let's keep advancing beyond oils.

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting