Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking advice on refinishing handrails, spindles and stairs

Posted by mechth (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 0:04

After removing old carpet on stairs, I found the treads were bare 2x10 pine (or spruce?) and risers are bare MDF. There is 1/8" gap between the risers and treads. Due to limited budget, I decided to paint the stairs and refinish the oak handrails/spindles. Here is my plan:

1. Fill nail holes and sand treads.
2. Sand handrails to remove existing polyurethane
3. Apply primer. Then paint treads and handrails with dark chocolate latex paint. 2 paints I'm considering are : http://www.sherwin-williams.com/painting-contractors/products/catalog/porch-floor-enamel/

or http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/for-your-home/paint-products/benjamin-moore-flooring-solutions#piSheen=112&advs=0&tab=2

4. Apply 3 coats of satin polyurethene for extra protection. sand lightly between the coats.
5. Cover risers with 1/4" plywood paint with white Sherwin Williams trim paint - ProClassic Interior Acrylic Latex Enamel. I have some leftovers when I did the baseboards a while ago. It's great product.
6. Sand spindles to remove existing polyurethene
7. Paint spindles with white Sherwin Williams ProClassic Interior Acrylic Latex Enamel

Is the plan feasible? without too much experience with stairs and handrails, I'm a little bit nervous. My questions are:

1. How to remove existing polyurethane efficiently? Shall I remove the handrails and spindles for this?
2. Did I select the right paint?
3. Can I apply polyurethane on top of latex?

many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking advice on refinishing handrails, spindles and stairs

see answer on DIY site :-)

o
RE: Seeking advice on refinishing handrails, spindles and stairs

Applying poly over the paint really won't give you any added protection. It's not like the poly is any more durable than the paint itself unless you are really using some cheap paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here