Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azulsea_gw

Bright bananna yellow hallway-HELP

azulsea
14 years ago

This forum has been very interesting and informative!! I currently have painted my hallway 'spicy bananna pepper' from Home Depot. I think it is a Behr paint. Anyway, it looked great in the ad I saw. Probably needs a MUCH larger room!!!. The result is awful. It is a very bright yellow!! The color bounces off the walls. Would I need a primer first or would two coats of a good paint-any color, to cover the yellow? My floors are ceramic tile-white with a little blue and beige threading through it. ANy suggestions on a new color? My family room which opens into the hall is a medium blue so I would like that to co-ordinate. Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Anyway, it looked great in the ad I saw.

Yeah, that doesn't always work out so great. Ads, online pix, online swatches are misleading. They're there to give you ideas and prompt color thoughts, they aren't really guides to making color decisions. You're on your own for that.

It's easy to make a mistake with yellow. Lots of people do. Thing is you'll only make that mistake once.

Yellow is weird in that it kind of does this reflecting *within* itself thing and builds up an intensity that then projectile vomits colorfulness out into the space. And the more area it covers, the more colorfulness because it keeps multiplying intensity all over itself. Yellow isn't exclusively the only color that can multiply all over itself, it happens with the other colors too, but yellow starts out intense and it exponentially just grows from there. So if you had a MUCH larger room, you'd just have MUCH larger projectile colorfulness. The key is to not choose a vivid yellow to begin with.

Any suggestions on a new color?
    The best yellows, the most liveable yellows are often found among the tans and beiges. With yellow if it appears that it's not as *sunny* or *clean* as you want it, if the sample/chip looks like it could be a little *darker* or *more yellow*, then it's likely going to be a viable yellow color option for an environment, structure. A softer, buttercream-y-er yellow could also harmonize nicely with the medium blue.

If you buy best quality grade and brand of paint, you don't need to prime. Just buy enough paint and get the right amount per coat on the wall to cover it.

• azulsea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

FunColors, thank you so much for the advice! I really liked your description "projectile vomits colorfulness out into the space" which perfectly describes my new hallway-unfortunately:(. I will buy a softer yellow and give it a couple of coats of paint.

BTW, I've enjoyed reading your posts. You're really good!

Thanks!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Aww, you're welcome and thank you for the kind words. ⥠⥠â¥

I care. I want to make a difference. I believe color is key and contributes bucket loads to our quality of life - every single person, every single wall, every single product on the shelves at the store. It's my passion and my craft.

I get the occasional email asking how to find my posts on GW. There's the search feature of the GW archive that goes back pretty far and also my favorite clippings page I linked below. It's a color 'tude parade. No one can accuse me of not having a point of view about my craft. That's fer-shure. :) Read at your own risk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Funcolors Clippings

• eagle100
    14 years ago

I too just had something very similar happen. The chip, Phyrimid Gold matched the linens perfectly and I loved it. That is until I painted a wall! It screamed sunshine yellow to me, but I'm stubborn so I continued on and painted the entire bedroom. The longer its on the wall the darker and better I like it. Its like it had to cure or something. Its very different and I'm really liking it now, maybe, I think!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Yep, it can take a while for the true color to cure and come thru. Making a snap judgment during painting, right after or even a few days after finishing painting isn't a good plan.

Don't panic immediately and give it a minute to dry out to its true and final state of color before deciding thumbs up or thumbs down.

If you're thinking you really like it, you're probably good to go. Maybe Pyramid Gold just challenged, pushed your familiar color tolerances. It was a shock, maybe takes some getting used to, but ultimately a good fit, good color choice.

• azulsea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you both for your replies. My husband says he likes it and wants to wait for a little before I repaint. I'm going to give it a try:). Eaglemom, maybe i'll end up loving mine too! thanks!

• eagle100
    14 years ago

Now I just trimmed out another bedroom in a color - its too pale to even call a color. I'm letting it set all night then back off to the paint to so they can make this non-color into something. Was to be a greenish grey - its so lite it looks like a nursery color. Not what I'm needing here.

• azulsea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eaglemom, I was afraid of going so light too and that it would end up as a non-color. especially since my tile is white. Let us know what color you end up painting! good luck!

Funcolors, thanks for the link. You are really good with color! Appreciate your expertise!