Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianewordsmith

air bubbles in paint on fluted trim

dianewordsmith
9 years ago

I'm having the same issue as poster on this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/paint/msg031136097531.html

I tried the suggestion of using sandpaper. Didn't seem to work very well, and after using enough pressure to finally get the grooves smooth, the color was taking on a yellowish tone (trim paint is white).

I tried a small arts-and-crafts-type foam brush, just in the grooves. I've also tried using a tiny little artist-type paint brush, using just a little paint and making sure to smooth it out. The bubbles seem a little less noticeable but are still there. I even tried going over the grooves with the end of the handle of the tiny brush just as the bubbles started to form. Some better, but still not there.

Does anyone have experience with eliminating this effect on this type of trim? Love the look of the fluting ... the bubbles, not so much.

By the way, it's fluting with very narrow grooves, as pictured in the thread cited above. I've tried both a satin enamel and a semi-gloss with the same results. I have at least two coats of paint on one piece of trim with same results. Is it possible it might take three or four coats before the bubbles smooth out?

Thanks for any advice!!!

This post was edited by dianewordsmith on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 22:36

Comments (2)