Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gloss paint on cabinets

Posted by ra1823 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 22:19

Does anyone paint their cabinets with gloss oil based (as opposed to semi-gloss oil based? I purchased some hybrid paint and my husband played around with it using some samples and it seemed difficult to work with - so we're bailing out on it. All of the painters that we have talked to seem much more comfortable with oil based. Maybe it's our area - Dallas. The semi-gloss oil based paints seem not very shiny. I'm planning to use SW Creamy or BM Linen White. I'm leaning toward gloss. Mistake?? Help! This whole process is stressing me out! I'm a teacher, trying to get the kitchen done before school starts in a few weeks. Thanks for any advise!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gloss paint on cabinets

Gloss will work fine. It is just too shiny for me. I would use semi.

o
RE: Gloss paint on cabinets

Keep in mind gloss may require more prep/sanding to truly achieve "gloss". You have a picture in your mind of what you want but it may not be realistic without a lot of time and elbow grease.
Some companies are not making gloss any more due to VOC restrictions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here