Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to paint a basement stairway?

Posted by drybean (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 22:03

The stairway to our unfinished basement has never been painted. However, it is our main access point into/out of house, so we use it daily. And it is gross and grimy.
Obviously I can use a roller on an extension pole, but I'm at a loss on how to reach the ceiling to cut in. There is no landing...it has about about a dozen stairs.

Anyone who has done this have any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to paint a basement stairway?

You can use a step ladder with plank run to extension laddder that is placed on one step. There are also multi matic type ladders that you can set on the stairs to get access to the ceiling line. You can also use a painting pad on an extension pole but this does not get right up the ceiling line. In pinch, I will even use an extension pole with brush clip...brush basically attached to a pole so you can reach up high, but this is very hard to control and make straight line with.

o

The pros paint difficult spaces reqularly. They have learned to adapt using equipment available and have steady hands for cutting - even when using an extension.

For us DIY'ers we need other techniques. Call your local rental agent and ask if they have a Little Giant type ladder. Unlike a standard step ladder, both legs can have their length adjusted. They are perfect for working in stairways. Rental shouldn't cost over $20.

If the rental doesn't have one, or another solution for your need, call a pro. Be safe.

o

Thanks so much for the tips. I decided to paint the ceiling the same color as well, so I now I don't have to worry too much about cutting in perfectly. I'm going to try the extension pole w/ paint pad first, since it sounds the easiest and safest.
Otherwise, I'll look into renting the adjustable ladder; I had no idea such things existed.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated as always.

o

We have a split foyer and I am terrifed of heights, so any kind ladder will not work for me.

The last time I painted I taped my brush to an extension pole. It was tricky but better than a ladder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here