Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkpita

Great new brush for cutting in-Styletto

jkpita
15 years ago

Hi,

Painted 3 rooms in my new house with Aura paint and a new brush I picked up for cutting in. I have a pretty steady hand and don't tape or anything when I cut in. Have used a Purdy slanted brush for years and thought I would test something new.

I am in love with a paint brush.

the brush is called Styletto ( maybe the company is too?) and the tip is pointed like a triangle or witches hat. It was great for getting into corners at ceiling and floor, paints a thick, wide straight band- fast. I could not believe how much paint it holds and spreads. I usually have to dip quite often for more paint, but with this one I could paint a good 10-12" line at a time.

I did have a problem with it dripping paint in the first room, but then I checked the website and figured out it was my technique to blame. I was using the same angle on the brush and then it would fill with paint on the other side and drip. Not sure if that makes sense. Anyway, I should have been flipping the brush and changing sides until the paint ran out before dipping again. Once I got the hang of that it was a beautiful thing.

I am not a fast painter generally, but can make straight lines without a mess. This brush allowed me to paint so much faster for cutting in, and I feel it covered well with no color peeking through or streaks, which can sometimes happen when your brush is low on paint and you try to stretch it.

I found mine at Lowe's.

I also loved the Aura, and followed the tips given on the forum. Covered well, used 2 coats, beautiful result, hardly any smell, dries really fast ( a positive and negative feature), nice thickness- neither too thick or too runny. I did use the Aura roller covers sold by my Ben Moore dealer. They gave a great result- no fuzzies, no paint lumps, very smooth result, even after being stored in plastic bag between coats one and two.

Comments (5)

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting this! I'm doing lots of cutting in today and will stop by Lowes first.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

That looks pretty cool. Now I need to find another room to paint!

Here is a link that might be useful: Styletto paint brush

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I went to Lowe's today looking for this brush. My Lowe's didn't have it. :(

• richardd
    15 years ago

Hi Terriks, Only select Lowe's stores carry Styletto, you can now also find them online at homedepot.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Homedepot.com

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Hi Guys!
    We've had these at our ACE since last Spring.
    A contractor bought some and liked how they worked, but said the nails kept coming loose.
    * I had never heard of that b4!
    * It MAY have been an earlier production-run too?!?
    * Admittedly, they might be harder on them...
    * Therefore, I'm gonna hold off on these.
    * We saw-'em on an ACE-info. mailing last spring.
    * They are moderately cheaper "cost-wise" than Purdy's or Corona's, but I'm still holding-off on these.

I'm getting pretty close to ordering some Corona's by early spring anyway...!

Faron