Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkelly_gw

Interior trim paint suggestion, please

kitchenkelly
13 years ago

Hello. I need to paint a gazillion doors, trimwork, wainscotting and baseboard for my second floor remodel. When the first floor was remodeled three years ago the painters used an oil-based BM semi-gloss which was great for the kitchen and main areas of the house. I would prefer not to use oil-based for this part of the house. I don't like that it will yellow and I don't think it is as necessary on the second floor.

Any recommendations for me? I have always used (and liked) BM, SW and Devine for interior walls and some small exterior projects. Just used Ellen Kennon this weekend but didn't really love Glidden. Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• nick59
    13 years ago

If you like GLOSS...
    THERE WAS NO BETTER GLOSS THAN OIL DUTCHLAC (FPE) in this world...but that is only good if you are after & willing to put the effort required to get the best finish. When someone looks at that finish, one word comes to mind WOW!
    But you gotta use they're primer under it...(I used it on a group of pre primed doors & it was not up to it...either that, or new "Hollandlac" has been ruined by EPA changes). It has to be A P P L I E D and S P R E A D in the most miserly way, or IT WILL DRIP..(Think of it as Enamal work).
    Put it on and enjoy it for the next 20 years.
    But the products price... at a cost for less than 3 qts. for $125....is either an example of shameless greed by some guy's in low cost Vermont ...or some one is not a good business man & getting ripped off by some dudes in Holland.
    (Farrow & Ball, a first rate MADE IN ENGLAND paint,of that European quality used on Stately Homes,is about $90-$100 for a Full Gallon).

If you like a Satin finish in White (Water based) ...THE ONE.. is #1701 by Old Village Paint PA. ($56 gal.) who does historic type of paints. It is water based but changes to a bit of a creamy white in 6 years,which looks excellent on trim and stays that way. Good luck.

• redbazel
    13 years ago

On the recommendation of people on this board, I've bought Sherwin Wms Pro Classic for my trim and doors. I like it very much and it levels well.

Red

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info, Nick. I have been reading up on FPE and I am worried that I will buy a very expensive paint and then goof it up. My trimwork and doors are preprimed. I have heard great things about F & B, too. I have never heard off Old Village so I will have to go do some Googling.

Hi Red, I have always been a fan of Sherwin williams for ceilings and exterior. Did you use latex or oil.

Also, I posted on the Decorating Forum and got some great feedback there, too.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: X=post on Decor Forum

• ashef
    13 years ago

I've painted 6 rooms in my house since February & used Sherwin Williams Pro Classic latex on all the woodwork. I did two coats of primer and two coats of Pro Classic and my woodwork looks spectacular. I used the Pro Classic right out of the can without any tint and like the clean white color very much. It's easy to work with, too -- I really can't recommend it too highly.