Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahneider

benjamin moore vs pratt and lambert

sarahneider
14 years ago

ok so I just got home from the paint store. $57.99 for BM Aura, $22.99 for Pratt & Lambert Red Seal and I think $33.99 for the PL Accolade. My professional painter friend swore to me that the Aura was worth it, but I thought it would only be maybe 10-15% more than the PL. but wow. I primed 123 bullseye over dark blue latex enamel (4coats but it is really covered now). Is the Aura really worth it?? I'm in shock but I will go with the consensus. I always prepare and prime to the max so I don't really know about top coat paints that much because I am such a fanatical preparer. but my so called professional friend said that with the Aura, I would only have to put one coat of 123 on and let the Aura do the coverup work. Any thoughts? I need to buy the paint tomorrow morning before my paint crew of mom sisters and nephew come over at 9.

Comments (22)

• lvmy4kds
    14 years ago

We just painted our family room and kitchen with Aura. We loved it. We were covering white walls with a dark khaki. Aura covered in one coat. It did not splatter and it dries very quickly. We were skeptical about the cost but it was worth it.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Aura covers in one coat, but that's not to say that's where you're suppose stop. One coat coverage is just that. Aura for the most part does just what it says, covers in one coat. But that's not a complete nor proper paint job.

You still need to do two full coats of color for best color resolution and ensure you get it all covered -- no one can paint in one coat without the occasional holidays. Not to mention durability and wear factors of one coats vs. two.

Primer isn't meant to cover color. When primer is applied properly and evenly, it's normal for primer to look sketchy, uneven, patchy. That's just primer.

Primer is just a coat meant to give the top coat better coverage and/or to seal out some kind of existing issue on the wall -- color isn't one of those issues. Four coats of primer was overboard. If there was nothing going on with the wall other than a dark color that needs to be covers, you probably didn't even need one coat of primer if you're using Aura.

Yes, Aura is worth it. Absolutely.

• sarahneider
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you so much for your input. after a lifetime of painting, there is still a lot to learn especially with all of the new products. We are painting an apartment for my mom that hasn't really been well painted for almost 30 years, just paint slapped over paint since 1980.

i won't try to get the primer to cover all the old color again!!

Funcolor, thank you also for that link to how to paint a cabinet. I have been painting IKEA cabinets with pretty good success but I got some great tips from Michael that will help next time I do it. Still have another apartment (for my daughter) and our own house to do, so I still have plenty of opportunities to practice what all of my mentors here are preaching.

Thanks again, Sarah (waiting till 8 when the paint storethat sells Aura opens)

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

Benjamin Moore has never really claimed that Aura covers in one coat, but somehow along the way people thought they did so now that is what everyone thinks. They say most colors cover in one coat, with a maximum of two. That's not really true either since some of the lighter colors, especially those creamy or yellow types, can still take three coats for complete coverage.

When deciding whether or not to drop the extra money on Aura, I think there are some key points to consider. It is probably the most durable paint on the market, so if washability is something you care about, then I would get the Aura. If it is a dark color you are painting with, then Aura will cover in two coats versus other brands that may take a tinted primer plus 3 coats. That is a huge time savings, which makes the extra cost for Aura worth it. Also, Aura is green and it touches up pretty well for a washable paint. I really don't think we are at that point yet where we can say Aura is best for every job, every time because it's expensive and sometimes the cheaper paint will give you the best bang for your buck which is really the most important thing.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

That's not really true either since some of the lighter colors, especially those creamy or yellow types, can still take three coats for complete coverage.

Try and tell that to the BM reps! Trust me they don't believe it, but as you say it is so true.

• sarahneider
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So after re reading all of the advice, I went back to the paint store prepared to pay for the Aura. I said I neededtp buy some paint and I needed some therapy because I was still having a hard time with the concept, but what stumped my was that they don't do optical scanning and they don't give you the paint right away: for a hand matched color-(I had made my own paint chip by mixing several off whites till I got just the right color of whipped cream I wanted for the primer and we wanted to use it for the paint as well), could I come back Monday afternoon. I said no, he said what and I went back to Orchard where the elderly paint expert who only works Saturdays was happy to see me again and mix up whatever I wanted with his optical color scanner. I bought P and L Reds Seal. the lowest level of the high quality paints that they carry at that store. It went on great, seemed to cover well in one coat, after all that primer I expect it would. The man in the BM store said it would probably be better if I tried out the Aura when I had more time and was just painting one room. I said I would because it really was a pain in the neck to paint so many coats of primer and I would love to give it a try.

Thanks again for all of your advice and support. One of my own houses room is a darkish plum. I am going to use the method that funcolors Michael suggested and do one coat of primer and one coat of whipped cream Aura and let you know what I experience. Here is Michael's link in case you missed it last time; It really has good advice for the novice painter:

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushworks cabinet painting how to

• ultraviolet
    14 years ago

I've never tried Aura, but I used to be a hard core BM fan and used almost every other variety of paint/primer they made. However, I really think the quality in the past several years has started to go downhill and the price way up. I gave P&L a try for some trim I was doing and the Red Seal just blew me away. I loved it and got great results with the trim (semi gloss) and the walls (flat).

My paint guy said it was probably worth it to go up to Accolade if I was going to do a dark colour, but I'm so in love with the Red Seal for the colours I've used so far.

• Vicki
    14 years ago

I've never tried Aura either, but I have used various paints including Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore through the years. I too, had the opportunity to use P&L accolades when I found a can in a house we moved into. It blew me away too. Pratt and Lambert has everything beat to pieces. It is absolutely the best paint I have ever painted with. I painted over a dark orange wall with white in one coat. I put two coats on, but honestly couldn't tell it made any difference. Also, it has got to be the most spatter resistant paint out there. If you have a Pratt and Lambert dealer near you, I wouldn't give BM paints the time of day.

• calgal59
    14 years ago

BM and PL are both quality paints. I've used both paints--in fact, on my last house, I used a combination of BM (exterior) and PL (interior).

However, I find PL Accolades far superior when it comes to quality of color and ease of application. Aura is not user friendly; indeed, most BM paints require an experienced painter and great prep. I just painted my master closet ceiling with BM decorator white and it just about killed me. But it looks great. By contrast, the walls are PL Red Seal and the ease of application was remarkable--the BM was like rolling on glue; the PL glided on with little effort.

Like the Red Seal, the Accolades is also very easy to apply and the color is unbelievable. Plus, even if the wall was not perfectly prepared, you still get a great result.

After we painted our last home, the compliments on PL interior colors were non-stop. Everyone from the painting contractor to a stranger who came knocking on my door saying she was a neighbor who noticed the beautiful colors each night through the windows; she asked if I would share the colors/paint information with her.

When I put the house up for sale in this horrific market, it sold in three days. The buyer raved on and on about the colors.

Donald KaufmanÂthe guru of full spectrum paintÂhas PL make his base. Base is keyÂwithout a quality base, the pigments are wasted.

IÂm planning on using Kaufman, Accolades, and Farrow & Ball in my new home.

One thing about BM: their color selection is hard to beat.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

OK, I painted big samples on my BM Linen White wall today with Aura Satin Paint mixed in BM Bone White and BM Regal Pearl Finish Paint mixed in SW Antique White. The BM Guy told me the pearl finish was the same as the satin but to my eyes the satin has a bit more shine and I liked the Pearl finish better. I also had no problems using either paint with the large foam brush but found both needed two coats for complete coverage and to look nice over the Pearl Finish BM Linen White light color. I was told that the Regal is now a lower voc paint with a new formula so it is now about 100 VOCS per gallon rather than the 250 VOC it used to be and the Aura was about 50 VOCs per Gallon.

I had planned on using the Aura but now I am not sure.

I wish I had a P&L store near me to try their paints.

I wonder if I should try the Natura in the Eggshell finish to see how I like that since it is zero vocs.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

I wonder if I should try the Natura in the Eggshell finish to see how I like that since it is zero vocs.
    Why not? You have tried everything else.

Forget about the VOC's, whatever amount in ANY water based paint is not going to harm anything.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

chistophern, thanks for your input. I am beginning to think I just like the Pearl Finish and will live with some VOCS despite my sensitivity. I looked it up on the BM site and the Pearl Finish in the Regal Paint has about 147 VOC count and not the 100 the BM store guy told me and the Pearl Sheen is in between the eggshell and the satin. I am so far feeling that I like the Bone White more neutral tone better on the walls.

I may go with the Extra White Sherwin William Gloss that I have on the trim right now that I like a lot.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

How does BM Regal Paint compare with Aura because their new formula amazingly dried very quickly, went on easily when sampling and comes in a nice Pearl Finish that I like since it has a little more sheen than Eggshell but less than Satin. It also has less VOC count but the Aura has a lot less VOC count but is so much more money. Will I really need no primer with the Aura? Would I need a primer if using BM Regal Bone White in pearl finish over BM Linen White in Pearl Finish but now I have samples of Aura Bone White in Satin and Regal paint SW Antique White in the pearl finish on several places on my wall to cover. I wish I painted sample boards and did not paint directly on the wall.

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

You don't need a primer to paint over samples, but you will likely need multiple coats. BM Regal is still a pretty good paint.

• tommyw
    14 years ago

Benj Moore is way overpriced IMHO. I used it exclusively for years but not any more. Today you can buy several quality paints at half the cost of BM.

• paintguy1
    14 years ago

"Forget about the VOC's, whatever amount in ANY water based paint is not going to harm anything."

Nothing could be further from the truth. Depending on the state you live in, a latex paint can have a VOC level of 150 grams per liter (gpl) before tinting. Colorant can add up to another 100 gpl for a deep color. In a gallon of paint (about 3.9 liters) that equates to up to 1 kilogram or 2.2 pounds of VOC emissions that are released. In a typical room that uses two gallons, that's over 4 pounds of liquid that will turn into VOC emissions. On the other hand, a paint like Natura that remains 0 in any color releases virtually nothing. Bottom line, latex does not equate to low emissions.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Well I tried the Behr Satin finish in Behr Navajo White on the wall on the skinny column next to the window above the blinds and the coverage was not good compared to the BM Regal Paint and the BM Aura Paint and for a 18" X 8" area, the outgassing of the VOC is bothering my allergies more than the 8 samples of both the Aura and the Regal paint did when I painted samples the other days. I am very sensitive to chemicals and whatever is used in the Behr paint is not good for me. The color is not bad but needs another coat but I still think I like the BM Bone White better.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

P.S. I finally decided to put a second coat of the Behr Navajo White on the wall and I am amazed at how smooth the second coat went on the wall and now the color is drying so pretty! Maybe I will end up liking this color and get it mixed in the BM paint. My eyes are tearing from the sample on my wall though since there is something in the Behr paint that is outgassing that is bothering me.

I posted this also on the other post I had so if someone does a search they will see maybe Behr paint is not so bad for those people not sensitive to VOCS if two coats are used since now I am now sneezing with watery eyes just from putting a 2nd coat on the wall in a tiny 1.5' X 8" size.

• fencefm
    12 years ago

I am looking to cover dark blue base cabinet- kitchen cupboards with black paint. We have cream uppers and all black appliances.
    The cupboards only have two coats of blue paint -and i took great care when preparing them from wood to paint.It has held up really well.
    So will I still need to sand them before applying the black? Or just need wash them with a the tsp no rinse type solution?
    Also would the BM Regal select pearl be a enough high end to hold up? I cant remember what I painted them with before.
    Thanks!

• James Gensch
    8 years ago

Paints paints... The only advantage to ben Moore if your a painter is there 's a store in every town no mater where you go in N J other wise get something cheaper...

n

j .

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

I miss our wonderful paint forum where we shared and learned so much.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations