Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help painting bedroom furniture

Posted by realtorrose (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 20:41

My cherry bedroom furniture is 36 yrs. old and needs a facelift. I have a 4 poster bed, nightstands and a triple dresser. I love the 'cottage' look and would like to paint my set white and perhaps have someone paint some flowers on the door fronts. Has anyone painted their furniture with any success. What is the process, do I need to sand the pieces, prime them and what is the best type of paint (roller or paint brush). I think I would also like the distressed look where paint is removed from the edges. Your suggestions and photos would be most welcomed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help painting bedroom furniture

I paint furniture all the time, and if this is your first DIY, it sounds like a large undertaking. But it can certainly be done.
The prep work is very important. I would do a light sand and cleaning, then prime with an alcohol or oil based primer, like BIN or Zinsser. You can use a water-based primer, but since you have cherry and it was probably waxed, I'd go for the BIN, which is smelly, so work in a well ventilated area.
Next step is to paint. You can use latex for this, and there are many options. You can use a brush or a roller or a combination of the 2.
After you paint, you can sand the edges to reveal the wood underneath for that distressed look.
Then, you can glaze it or seal it.
If you could post a picture, that may help others, and try posting this on the home decorating forum. Lots of DIYers painting their own furniture!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here