Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What color to paint wood front door on red brick house?

Posted by tulah (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 20:05

Hi - We just bought a gorgeous front wood door from a house that was going to be torn down. My husband just installed it and it looks GREAT...but, I cannot decide on a color to paint it.

Right now, it came to us painted as a blue-green color. It doesn't look good with our dark red brick house. The house is cottage style, 1 story, 1400 ft., built in 1947.

I think I'm going to do the door "trim" in a medium grey color, as well as the other trim on the house, windows, etc.

Any suggestions for color for front door!?? Have any pictures you'd like to share? Thanks!

When we bought this house, it has the standard red brick/white trim/black door look. I want to get away from that, because the white trim just looks "dated" on this house.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm stuck in indecision!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What color to paint wood front door on red brick house?

Our 1960's brick ranch front door is black, along with the shutters, but the trim is almond. We bought a nice Anderson storm door in almond. Maybe a little boring, but it works.

I like the idea of grey trim! I'd maybe go with a smokier grey door then. Or a maroon would be pretty.

o

Merlot.

Michael

o

Ivory ? watcha think

o

I'd go with a burgandy / Red/brown sort of mix - Sometimes a cream can work or a deep ivory.

o

Using DHs work historic work building for inspiration, I've decided to go with....
- Red Brick house (this color stays! LOL)
- All trim Medium-dark slight bluish gray. (not institutional looking). Including window molding, door trim, eaves, etc..
- Sandy-beige, deep warm cream color for door.

Now, I've just got to FIND the above mentioned door color.
If anyone here knows what I "mean" by the above description, and a good name and brand of paint color, please let me know!

Thank you very much! And thanks for the suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here