Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puzzlefan

Hi Temp Paint can it be used on a stove?

puzzlefan
11 years ago

The grates on my GE stove which have been a disaster from the first year of ownership are so bad now that I either have to replace them or paint them. Can I use a high temp paint safely for this project knowing they will be subjected to gas flames every day?

Comments (4)

• Pines Everywhere
    11 years ago

Puzzelfan -- I'm no expert but I've researched this HIGH HEAT paint issue recently because I need to freshen a Coleman Heater in my garage. The only product I've found is Rustoleum "Specialty" High Heat product and they have an ULTRA High Heat product. This only comes in brush-on black but spray can be purchased in Blk, White and Gray (at least). The regular high heat spray can says:

HIGH HEAT is a rough protective enamel that renews and protects surfaces subject to heat up to 1200 Degrees F. This rust preventative formula is ideal for: barbeque grills, woodstoves, radiators, firepits, fireplace screens, automotive parts and more.

So puzzelfan, notice all the out-doorish recommended uses. I don't think the open flames is an issue as much as "how hot" something good actually get. I do not know the maximum temp exerted by a Gas stove but you may want to check. I am going to investigate further too as I still have concerns about my Gas Heater which is subjected to a bit of Open Flame too on the grates.

Let me know if you learn anything and I'll watch the thread too!

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

There was a thread on this a while back, and I believe the outcome was that Rustoleum was not intended for actual stove tops, where it would need to be food-safe and hold up to scrubbing. Holding up to heat on the shell of a barbecue is different from holding up to routine scrubbing on a stove top. Some high heat spray paints say they can be used on stoves, but they mean wood stoves, not a kitchen range. Your current range has baked-on porcelain, not paint. I'm attaching a discussion on this topic; some seemed to have luck with engine paint, and some tried combinations that sound really unsafe.

Snippets from the discussion which I found to be useful:

''October 15, 2009

A. I wanted to paint my white stove black so I tried Rustoleum high heat ultra in a semi gloss black. The result is not good. The stove top scratches very easy and the paint has chipped off with cleaning. I just keep the paint can handy. I wish I had found this site before paint day. Do not use this paint for the stove. My next option is automotive paint.

Sam dyer
    - Gainesville, Georgia''

''January 29, 2010

CAUTION ! As a Firefighter/EMT/HAZ-MAT Responder, I am appalled at the risks some of you are willing to take with the safety of you and your families using some of those paint finishes around the eyes or burners on your stoves. That discoloration means that the products are OFF-GASSING, emitting toxic vapors into your home... not good! Worse still, you are standing directly in the vapor cloud while stirring your pots, etc.! Even if you don't see any visible changes, acrylic, acrylic enamel, and lacquer paints just cannot stand up to those kind of temps and are breaking down... i.e. off-gassing. Even the Teflon in your cookware puts out enough toxins to kill pet birds at any temps over medium heat (300+ degrees)... research the internet and refer to your owner's guide.

Clint Cameron
    - Chattanooga, Tennessee''

Here is a link that might be useful: Finishing.com - need paint for stove top

• vbelenpe
    2 years ago

Are there any other solutions?

• JK McIntosh
    2 years ago

Apparently there is a spray paint called Stove Bright, mentioned by Marnie Jamison in her blog today. We used Rustoleum when we redid our summer kitchen this summer. Obviously I need to do a bit more research.