Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting interior of aluminum window frames

Posted by pearlbegonia (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 19:44

Is this a reasonable thing to do, to improve their looks, or will they ultimately peel and look even worse? If reasonable, what type of primer is best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting interior of aluminum window frames

I cannot answer the first part without seeing it but here is a good primer if needed

Here is a link that might be useful: primer

o
RE: painting interior of aluminum window frames

No matter what kind of primer is used the oxidation level of the aluminum is important. Consider a naval jelly if it is not satin finish or similar or pitted/oxidized at all.
A good oil based metal primer should be OK. You may have some trouble finding one that will say "for use on aluminum" on the label.
Airplanes are primed with Zinc Chromate but I don't think you can buy that just anywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here