Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Door Painting ?

Posted by mommyinvt (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 19:13

I recently moved and would like to paint our exterior doors a different color. I have no idea what kind of paint is on the door right now. Where should I begin? What prep steps need to be taken? Should I use a semi-gloss for the front door?

To make matters more difficult I would like to paint the doors black, a deep true black. Several people have suggested that I select a different color because the black will fade. I still want black...what black paint should I buy. I bought all BM paints for my interior, but I have never purchased any exterior paints.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Door Painting ?

The best thing to do is call an auto body shop and get an estimate for painting the door. Black paint is not forgiving if it's not perfect. Especially in daylight.

If you feel you must do it yourself, BM Impervo Satin Black will do a good job. Unfortunately it must be in alkyd to be that dark.

Whatever you do, don't consider SW Color Accents. Trust me on that one.

Michael.

o

One problem with dark paint on doors is that, in addition to fading issues, the door will heat up when sun hits it. If you have a glass-front storm door, in the winter the front door will be like a solar collector, but with no place for the heat to go.

I've heard of peoples' doors or storm doors warping because they got so hot.

If you don't have a glass front storm door, then this is probably not a big deal.

o

Mommy, (grinning on this one!)

I agree a black door looks nice! But the previous posters have great points!

* Does your door face North or East? If so, I wouldn't be that concerned about heat build-up.
* However, if your door faces South/S-West/or West...well, just remember touching a black car on a hot day...OUCH!
* If you have an awning, deep entry, or a well-shaded West exposure, you may be OK with black.

Faron

o
Rules of Front Door Painting

I am painting my front door green. Do I have to also paint the interior side of the front door also green? All my interior doors are painted white so won't it look odd if I paint it green? Opinions please.
Thanks,
Pat

o

The interior is the interior and the exterior is the exterior.Two different colors, unless they are all the same.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here