Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staining painted cabinets

Posted by missrandee (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 19:07

Hello!
This is my 1st post and I'm excited to have joined the board. A little background, I bought this house 2 years ago and I'm ready to re-do the house. The kitchen cabinets are a lovely "smoker's yellow" color and I HATE it. So the cabinets are wood but I'm looking to stain them. Here's a link

http://picasaweb.google.com/randeeboo/Kitchen

So I've started priming them with Zinser primer. and I'm looking to stain them to look like the pictures in the links. Suggestions? What color do I need to paint them as a base coat over the primer? Should I used oil based or latex? I'm going to use the gelstain by Miniwax but I can't figure out what colors...? If I use the gel stain do I even need to paint a base coat?

Thanks, this is my 1st staining project so I'm lost!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staining painted cabinets

Stain should be applied over raw wood, not wood that has already been painted. Once they are painted you are sort of stuck unless you want to be creative and do a faux or some kind or woodgraining or strip the cabinets and start fresh. Woodgraining is a pretty advanced technique and even those that do it perfectly still can't get it to look like real wood. Stripping is very labor intensive and should only be done if the wood is worth saving. Some cabinets are built with a paint grade type of wood that is not worthy of staining or they may be constructed with melamine or some other type of veneer.

o

In another post on this forum :
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/paint/msg0216234513703.html

a lady "stained" her cabinets with gel stain. On the canister that I saw at home depot it says "Use on wood, plywood, fiberglass, metal and other surfaces!"

so if my cabinets are primered...why can't i stain them?

o

I was looking at the doors you posted in your pics. You can't really achieve that particular look staining over a painted surface but you can do something creative. Go for it.

o

Randee,

You can stain over primer, however the wood grain will be masked. It will have the appearance of a base coat (whatever color base you choose) and a glaze (stain) which you can brush on and wipe away. The surface will need a clear coat to protect the finish.

As paintguy suggests, you'll need to be creative to achieve good results.

Michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here