Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cedar fence

Posted by fallfox (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 19:01

We just had our cedar fence stained for the first time this spring. We had a "professional" do the job. The fence never reached the color on the color chart and the painter complained my fence soaked up too much of the Sherwin Williams Woodscape polyurethane acrylic semi-transparent stain that she couldn't achieve the REDWOOD sample on the color chart without us buying more stain.
Here is my question,the old varnish stain would basically just lay on the suface of the wood, it seems to me that the Polyurethane stain does pretty much the same thing, is that correct? There was a large splinter, 6 inches, on one of the rails of my fence that I pulled off, I broke it in two pieces and looked at the break, there was very little penetration of the stain into the wood that I could see. The painter's complaint seemed unfounded. I think she didn't know how to give an estimate and didn't want to purchase more stain at her expense. She refuses to complete the job.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cedar fence

Does your fence have a sealer on it, if so the stain may not be able to penetrate into the wood. Stains normally penetrate. The Polyurethane finish does not penetrate.

It may make a difference whether oil or water based stain is being used.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here