Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Do I sand between the two top coats of paint?

sooz
16 years ago

I did all the patching and prep work and primed the old bathroom--twice!--with appropriate wait times (thank you Faron for all your help!)

I just finished applying the first full coat of semi-gloss paint and am letting it dry thoroughy.

Do I need to sand or wet sand this before I apply the second full coat of paint?

I couldn't find the exact answer when I used the search feature on this site, when I read the paint can label, went to ehow and ask.com, so (sigh) I'm asking here.

Thanks for the input--I keep telling myself there's not such thing as a dumb question if you really, really don't know the answer and don't wanna make a guess! LOLAM !

Smiles,

Sooz

Comments (6)

• paintguy22
    16 years ago

No you don't need to sand in between coats.

• sooz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, paintguy!!!!

:O)
    Sooz

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Sooz,
    You've shown intelligence by asking the "dumb" (they're never dumb!!) questions! The world of painting isn't rocket-science, but people can really louse things up with bad or outdated advice!

Case in point:
    On another forum I read...a guy had painted Ralph-Lauren's River-Rock on his cabinets, and was wondering why they didn't clean-up very well!!! Uffda....

Faron
    PS...I did get your email the other day, via aol.

• sooz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliment, Faron! I'm glad there was an easy answer on the forum, because I sure couldn't find one when I searched!

The bathroom is done! I finished it today! Tomorrow, I'll re-hang the towel racks and the shower curtain and put up the outlet covers and switchplate. Two more days, and we'll be able to take a shower in there!'

I decided to go with white instead of a beachy water color or a light pebbly color --but of course, I had to spend some time priming over those because I painted big ol' swatches of those on the walls to see what it would look like. It's a small bathroom and those colors made it look smaller and darker. White, with accents of that beachy water color (hey, I have a quart of it and cannot use it in my classroom!) is--to quote baby bear--"just right!"

Glad the email works. Cyberspace is such a mystery to me, but I do love it!

Be well!!!
    Sooz

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Sooz,
    Your switchplate comment reminded me...
    * Leave-'em just slightly loose for a month until the paint really hardens-off good.
    * Glad you're waitin' the 2 days b4 showerin'!
    * Well...are ya gonna post some pix for all of us?!?!
    * Ya don't think all this advice is FREE do ya??...wink...wink...;)

Faron

• sooz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Huh? The advice isn't free??? Gosh darn!

Faron, I'll be glad to send you cookies! If you lived closer, I'd make you lasagne!

Thanks for the input about waiting a month to tighten the switchplate and outlet covers. As for pictures, no promises, but maybe!

Ciao!