Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davisgard

Flashing Issue

davisgard
10 years ago

I'm painting my family room in a gold paint. When I was trying to reach a decision about the color, I painted several sample squares on the wall. Most were painted using color sample jars (from Lowe's, Home Depot, and Benjamin Moore). Some of the color samples came only in eggshell. The colors were all very close together and to the final choice.

Once I decided on a color, I lightly sanded the samples with 150 grit sandpaper (on a knock down textured wall). Then I coated with Valspar Signature paint in a flat (I would have preferred Benjamin Moore but wasn't able to get a good BM match to the color I wanted). After a couple of finish coats, I am still seeing those sample squares. I don't think the color is bleeding through--it seems to be a difference in sheen. (I don't see the squares when I look straight on at the wall, just when I come into the room and see the wall from the side). I've primed and recoated, but still see the squares.

The problem is fairly subtle, but I would like to take care of it. What should I do more of? More sanding, maybe with a coarser grit? Several coats of primer? More topcoats?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

2 coats of a quality flat should have covered it up. Then you primed and re coated? and you are still seeing it???
    You really need to get better paint and primer. Did you prime the whole wall? Sanding will do no good.

• davisgard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I primed the whole area and recoated--and still see it. The primer I used was Royal Ace multipurpose (water based). Maybe I should use a stain blocking primer (even though it isn't really the color bleeding through)?

Unfortunately, I am now committed to the Valspar Signature paint (I don't want to change the color and couldn't match it).

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

This happens sometimes, but only when you do your samples on a wall with a nice sized window at the end of it. Natural sunlight being cast down a wall can be a real problem when you have an area that is sealed really well and then you are painting over it with flat which has no sealing ability (unless it's a washable flat). I would prime the area a few times but after this you may have a problem with the primed area flashing through, so then you would need to prime the whole wall.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

If it really bothers you, I would prime the whole wall with Zinsser 123 and re paint.

• davisgard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help! I'll give the re-priming a try.

And yes, there are several windows at the end of that wall. I noticed a slight bit of the flashing on another wall with samples that gets some window light from the end. I didn't notice any flashing on the wall with samples opposite the windows. So I definitely think paintguy is right about the placement of the light contributing to the problem (or at least my noticing of the problem).

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Couple of subtle...but HUGE...points here:

1) Because the samples were on the actual wall surface, the walls' "elevation", or profile, is now different in those spots.
    * When people paint samples, they're always brushed on. This builds up a much thicker layer, relative to using a roller doing a wall...
    * Therefore, even if you prime 17 more times, that ORIGINAL sample-thickness will still be there...& be just as noticeable!
    * Smaller rooms aren't as big a deal, since you'll rarely see down a longer wall from the side.
    * In short, this spot "elevation change", can sometimes alter the colors perception, since it's viewed in 2 different "planes".

....aaaannnd-
    2) The actual painting technique itself-

* Good, even rolling technique takes practice.
    * "Laying-off" columns of paint is very important.
    * The "Human element". No 2 people will ever paint a wall the same way...let alone use the same amount of paint.
    * Equipment used can make a subtle difference too.

REMEDIES:
    * USE FOAMBOARDS for samples!!! Obviously, these can be moved around to judge colors on different walls & times of day.
    * Feather-sanding the edges of wall-samples can minimize the difference, but you'll still see those "extra coats" AT ANGLES"!!

We just got back from Yellowstone.
    At the Four-Seasons in Jackson/Teton-Village, there's a table in the ski locker-room with the area's mountains in relief-detail. Looking DOWN from over the table, it seems only a little spikey.
    >>>> From the SIDE however....

;-)

Faron

• davisgard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Faron's information was very helpful!

I had painted the samples with a brush (two coats)--and in fact, I had painted some samples, primed, then painted samples over the samples I had rejected. So there may very well have been a buildup.

I did prime three times over the area with a stain blocking paint and recoated--and it helped, but only slightly. What worked best was painting with a brush in the "low" spots--the problem is pretty much taken care of now!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia